Unanswered: LINUX and UDB PERSONAL EDITION

I am planning to install LINUX o/s on my laptop so that I can install UDB version 8.1 personal edition. IBM recommends RED HAT LINUX ENTERPISE EDITION - Now there are various flavors of enterprise edition - Has anybody ventured in this project?? I want some guidance on which LINUX distribution should I install in my laptop for UDB to work?? This is what I want on my laptop:

1. LINUX O/S
    2. BASH SHELL
    3. STAROFFICE
    4. UDB PERSONAL EDITION VERSION 8.1

You are the creator of your own destiny!

Consult this page for supported RH distributions.
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data...rhel3_v82.html

I would stick to the GUI install if possible, since many of the batch scripts that come with DB2 are written for korn shell and don't work properly for bash shell.

DB2 FP7a (versin 8.2) is a free upgrade if you have 8.1 installed.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Marcus,

Thanks for the update. I am aware of the base kernel level in the url but was wondering what commercial distribution of linux must I buy? FREE downloads of linux is a pain becuase I do not have a high speed connection and am planning to buy a LINUX OS cd. What commercial CD will have the kernel level listed in the URL?

When you say you recommend GUI - Can you please eloborate? I was planning to install KDE (windows look and feel with linux) on top of linux so that windows person like me can be comfortable.

KORN shell comes pre-installed in ALL linux distribution right?

RH Esnterprise Edition is not free. RH has discontinued free Linux distributions, except Fedora (http://www.redhat.com/fedora/), which is not officially supported by Red Hat or IBM. However, I currently run RH9, which is not supported by IBM, and it works fine, alhtough I had to jump through some hoops to get it to install (search this forum for details on installing DB2 V8 on RH9).

If you buy Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 3, you will be able to update the OS to the kernel version you want from the RH website.

I don't know about Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 3, but RH9 did not come with korn shell (bash shell only).

When I say GUI install, I mean the DB2 install, which can be done with a script supplied by DB2 or with a GUI program installed with DB2. The GUI works fine under KDE, assuming you follow the documented workarounds for getting it work under Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 3.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 10-17-04 at 14:57.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Wow! Nothing is simple (:-

Thanks!

I installed db2 ver8 ese edition on my laptop mandrake 9.1, before that I
    was using mandrake 8. I find no difficulty in installing and using it.
    Mandrake is free and you can try it. IBM don't supported installing db2 on
    mandrake.

regards & thanks

Mujeeb

Mujeeb,

Where can I get the download of mandrake 9.1? Also, I am new to LINUX. Can I get the following functionality if I install mandrake 9.1?

1. Email client so that I can use POP and SMTP and web browser - Does netscape work with linux?

2. Can StarOffice (MS office look and feel from SUN) be installed with 9.1 distribution

3. Does it come with KORN or BASH shell pre-installed?

4. How easy is mandrake 9.1 in terms of AUTO-INSTALL - Does it recognize all the hardware in your laptop

What kind of software you have installed in your laptop? Any other suggestion would be welcome??

Search at google, you will install the mandrake 10.0 , get the iso , it comes
    in 3 files.Most of the packages are in that iso. You can search at google
    and find many different rpms for your use.They are free, you may need to pay like 6 dollars for downloading these 3 iso.

regards & thanks

Mujeeb