Unanswered: Can't run some querries

hi Folks,

I am having a strange issue with an informix database. When I try
    running some querries (through) cli library it gives me an error saying "Could
    not write sorted data". I cant run that querry by hand either.
    It shows an error "2: could not find file or directory".

one of the querries is "select * from <table name> where uid = <some number> order
    by record_number". (It does work for some other uids, and fails for some others
    too.). I tried replacing * by individual field names and it still fails. When I
    remove the order by clause, it starts working.

Also, when I remove the largest field from the projection list (like notes, description etc), it starts working. I think there is some memory issue or somethin.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks a lot,

hi parth,

I'm pretty sure that sorting of output is performed in tempdbs if you're using IDS.

The results of this query may exceed the space available in your tempdbs so you'll have to add another chunk to tempdbs to execute it and sort the results as originally written.
    Last edited by mjldba; 10-18-04 at 15:42.

Thanks a lot. Is there a setup/environement variable/parameter that can be changed to rectify this? Thanks, -- Parth

hi parth,

If you're using SE you may have to increase the size of whatever temp directory you're using, perhaps something like /tmp.

If you're using IDS, you have to add a chunk to tempdbs using the onspaces command. No need to bounce the engine, you can do this on-the fly.

can't really suggest more detailed answer than this 'cause much depends on your hardware, if you're using raw or cooked space, page size, and how much space you have available for adding a new chunk.

Thanks a lot.