Thread: Oracle 8i OR 9i

Exclamation Unanswered: Oracle 8i OR 9i

Hello,
    I wanted to firstly want to know which version should I use for my University course project keeping in mind the ordinary configuration of my PC i.e. 20GB HD,128 MB RAM, Celeron 1800MHz.
    And secondly please guide me what front end would be better for me for such a project i.e. School Management System (not online).

reply asap,
    Syed Hammad Ahmed

you can use oracle 8

for font end my choice is developer 2000. but you can use VB.
    Working Together...

ORACLE 8i & Form 6i

I think you choose Oracle 8i and Forms 6i for your School Managment System that is good and pl increse Ram of your server from 128 to 194 or 256 that is very good config.

Since this is for a school project, and I assume you dont have the software yet (or you wouldnt be asking this), why not go with 10G? Since all the software is on OTN anyway, it doest make any sense to go with versions that will be de-supported in the approximate future.

As for front end, it really doesnt matter. I agree and say go with the Developer Suite 10G, but its all in what you know. If you dont know PL/SQL, now would be the time to learn anyway. There is nothing wrong with Developer 2000 or 6i, but those are 3 and 2 releases old respectively. Rock on with 10G!

6i
    9i
    10G
    Oracle OCPI (Certified Practicing Idiot)

I love 10g, but it requires 512 mb ram (minimum, get a full gig if you plan to run anything besides the database), and runs like crap on 2 Ghz and under. Considering that its for school, and he already has a machine, he should go with something that will run on that machine. V9 will work fine, and has more features than 8 - not that all features are needed for a school project, but it gives the ability to learn more.
    Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Club him over the head with a fish, he'll leave you alone.

Point well taken! I overlooked the key factor of ram, since this is going on a pc. I retract my former rambling. Rock on with 9i (not 10g)!
    Oracle OCPI (Certified Practicing Idiot)