Unanswered: Boxes appear where data should be

I have a field in a table whereby four boxes have suddenly appeared instead of a 6 character text entry. I know the field should be a certain text entry. When I search for that text, it cannot be found. When I sort the table, the "boxes" appear in the spot / order where the text would exist.

I cannot reenter this data because it claims it would create a duplicate entry. When I try to delete the record with the "boxes", I get an error stating "the search key was not found in any record".

Any ideas?

Thanks all!

Reston, VA
    Boxes usually represent special characters like tabs or line it a linked table? Try compacting the database and exiting out completely and going back in.

If that doesn't work, and you still can't get rid of the record, first make a backup of your original table. Then copy the original table object, paste the structure only, turn off any autonumber fields and clear indexes in this new table. Create and run an append query that will append all records from the original table except the one(s) in error to the new table. Rekey the "boxes" record into the new table as it should be. Then, if you had to change an autonumber field or clear indexes, add them to the new table and rename it with the original table's name. You can just delete the old one.

See if that works.

Bummer Jeff - Your the man!

Had to copy the table structure and paste all of the data in less the problem record..

Thanks again.