Red face Unanswered: Sql Query in VBA won't work.

I've looked for this in this forum and have tried many things but can't get this query to work. I'm wanting to place the query into code so that I can change the WHERE portion. I pasted this from the query but when run, it comes back with Err 2342 stating it requires a SQL statement. It previously pointed out an extra semi-colon and so I know its seeing the statement correctly.

Fields [WorkDate] and [CerClock] are fields in the active record when this is run.

Code:
    Dim SqlQuery As String

SqlQuery = "SELECT [T:CurrPrData].Employee, [T:CurrPrData].CerClock, " & _
    "[T:CurrPrData].WeekNum, Sum([T:CurrPrData].[Reg Hours]) AS [SumOfReg Hours], " & _
    "Sum([T:CurrPrData].[Unpaid Hours]) AS [SumOfUnpaid Hours], Sum([T:CurrPrData].AltRateDayTtlHrs) AS SumOfAltRateDayTtlHrs " & _
    "FROM [T:CurrPrData]" & _
    "WHERE ((([T:CurrPrData].WorkDate)< #'" & [WorkDate] & "'#) " & _
    "AND (([T:CurrPrData].CerClock)='" & [CerClock] & "')) " & _
    "GROUP BY [T:CurrPrData].Employee, [T:CurrPrData].CerClock, [T:CurrPrData].WeekNum;"

DoCmd.RunSQL SqlQuery
    I realize I could create many regular queries but I thought this would be more flexible and space saving. Perhaps not? Thanks for any help.

Matt

where are the results of your SELECT going?

RunSQL Method

Hi Matt,

I thought that the runsql method was only used for action queries.
    From Help - RunSQL method in VBA.

sqlstatement A string expression that's a valid SQL statement for an action query or a data-definition query. It uses an INSERT INTO, DELETE, SELECT...INTO, UPDATE, CREATE TABLE, ALTER TABLE, DROP TABLE, CREATE INDEX, or DROP INDEX statement. Include an IN clause if you want to access another database.

For your application, you might want to create a querydef to run your select.
    HTH

MidnightRun
    John

Quote Originally Posted by mmwilcox
    I've looked for this in this forum and have tried many things but can't get this query to work. I'm wanting to place the query into code so that I can change the WHERE portion. I pasted this from the query but when run, it comes back with Err 2342 stating it requires a SQL statement. It previously pointed out an extra semi-colon and so I know its seeing the statement correctly.

Fields [WorkDate] and [CerClock] are fields in the active record when this is run.

Code:
    Dim SqlQuery As String

SqlQuery = "SELECT [T:CurrPrData].Employee, [T:CurrPrData].CerClock, " & _
    "[T:CurrPrData].WeekNum, Sum([T:CurrPrData].[Reg Hours]) AS [SumOfReg Hours], " & _
    "Sum([T:CurrPrData].[Unpaid Hours]) AS [SumOfUnpaid Hours], Sum([T:CurrPrData].AltRateDayTtlHrs) AS SumOfAltRateDayTtlHrs " & _
    "FROM [T:CurrPrData]" & _
    "WHERE ((([T:CurrPrData].WorkDate)< #'" & [WorkDate] & "'#) " & _
    "AND (([T:CurrPrData].CerClock)='" & [CerClock] & "')) " & _
    "GROUP BY [T:CurrPrData].Employee, [T:CurrPrData].CerClock, [T:CurrPrData].WeekNum;"

DoCmd.RunSQL SqlQuery
    I realize I could create many regular queries but I thought this would be more flexible and space saving. Perhaps not? Thanks for any help.

Matt

...and does this need some work:
    #'" & [WorkDate] & "'#

'string' and #date# ??

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Hi Matt,

Though I am not too knowledgeable of SQL in VBA, but there was something in this forum once I saw, but it had this in the beginning of the SQL statement:

DoCmd.RunSQL

I notice you have it at the end of your query. Does that make any difference?? Just trying to help as best I can with the tiny bit I know.

have a nice one,
    Bud

Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure where to start since all of you provided useful input. I was hoping to run this query and then be able to access and use the results, such as [SumofReg Hours] in code that follows. E.g. If [SumOfReg Hours] > test1variable then... That was going to be my next text once I addressed the error messages. Is that not possible?

If not, I'll go back to creating regular, saved queries for each of these summations that I need, each w/ its own criterion. It just seemed inefficient to save each specific query and open it/ close it in the code so that it refreshes. But maybe that's no different than creating a sql query in the code.

Again, thanks for your input.

you can only run action queries with RunSql method as MidnightRun said. You need to open a recordset with DAO or ADO and operate on that recordset.
    ghozy.

Okay. Thank you for the guidance. I'll be able to accomplish my goals through another avenue. Every improvement is a learning experience...

Thanks again.

Matt

You should place the strSQL into the record source property of the form, list box or combo box that you want to use. For example, on a form in you could place this could (probably in an OnClick event of a command button):

Me.RecordSource = strSQL

The forms data will change to the new record source. You could also use a forms Filter property. The syntaxt for this is the same as a WHERE clause but without the word WHERE. You must also turn the filter on/off. So for example you would use:

Me.Filter = "((([T:CurrPrData].WorkDate)< #'" & [WorkDate] & "'#) " & _
    "AND (([T:CurrPrData].CerClock)='" & [CerClock] & "')) "
    Me.FilterOn = True

I prefer changing the record source as I have found this gives consistent results rather then the Filter property.

If you have a subform and you want to change the record source you would use the syntaxt:

Me("MySubFormName").Form.RecordSource = strSQL

Regards
    Justin