Thread: List Box Query?

Question Unanswered: List Box Query?

I have a "frmPatients" that has a combobox linked to tblPatients. After-Update the form displays info on the patients. I want to create a listbox on "frmPatients" to display the tblVisit information. tblVisit has VisitID, PatientID...etc. I can get this to work if I use a subform, but I would like to know if a listbox can work as well.

I am trying to query a listbox as follows;
    SELECT tblVisit.VisitID, tblVisit.PatientID, tblVisit.DOI, tblVisit.DiagID, tblVisit.ClaimNum, tblVisit.ContactID, tblVisit.OpenClose
    FROM tblVisit
    WHERE (((tblVisit.PatientID)=[Forms]![frmPatients]![patientID]));

All I get is a BLANK listbox. if I delete the WHERE statement the listbox list all visits.
    If I use this code in a SubForm is works just fine.

Can someone help??? Thanks...Chuck

Try putting an equal sign in front, the SQL text in quotes and the form reference without quotes like this:

="SELECT tblVisit.VisitID, tblVisit.PatientID, tblVisit.DOI, tblVisit.DiagID, tblVisit.ClaimNum, tblVisit.ContactID, tblVisit.OpenClose
    FROM tblVisit
    WHERE (((tblVisit.PatientID)=" & [Forms]![frmPatients]![patientID] & "));"

You can also put

listbox_name.Requery

in the AfterUpdate event to make sure it refreshes whenever you change the combo box.

Bummer:

I tried your suggestion, but Now I get an error: "Invalid SQL Statement: expected DELETE, INSERT, PRCEDURE, SELECT, or UPDATE".

what did I do wrong?

Actually, now that I think about it, that's my mistake - you probably should clear out the listbox Row Source put it in the code for the Change event for your combo box. Try this:

Code:
    Private Sub patientID_Change()
       listbox_name.RowSource = "SELECT tblVisit.VisitID, " & _
          "tblVisit.PatientID, tblVisit.DOI, tblVisit.DiagID, tblVisit.ClaimNum, " & _
          "tblVisit.ContactID, tblVisit.OpenClose FROM tblVisit " & _
          "WHERE (((tblVisit.PatientID)=" & Forms!frmPatients!patientID & "));"
       listbox_name.Requery
    End Sub
    Last edited by BummerJeff; 10-20-04 at 17:52.

Bummer;

I placed the code iin the Change() event, now when the combobox changes, the list box displays the code: "SELECT tblVisit.VisitID, " & .............WHERE (((tblVisit.PatientID)=" & Forms!frmPatients!patientID & "));"

Make sure the listbox's Row Source Type property is set to "Table/Query" and not "Value List".