Question Unanswered: Will MS Access do the job? 3000 rows!

I am working as a research assistant on a for a hospital doing a study on the outcomes and success of certain treatments. I am required to build, populate, manage and eventually query a database of patient records. My initial design has around 24 tables with the maximum rows in 1 table being around 3000, although it is highly unlikely to be this many.

I am wondering if Microsoft Access can handle this amount of data. I have been told that access struggles with large databases and i think mine comes into that category. Also, will the access queries be able to handle this amount of data?

Finally, does anyone have an idea what size the database would be on the hard drive? In my initial design, with no records added the database is around 1.4MB. I need to know as I may need to request a DVD writer in order to burn back-ups of the database, as opposed to just a CD writer.

Any help at all in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Mikee

We have a video surveillance system that uses Access 2000 as the backend DB. The current DB size is 1.3 GB, and there is at least one table in the DB that contains as many as 500,000-750,000 rows at any given time.

It performs "adequately well". Not lightning fast on queries.

I think you are safe.

Sean

Talking

thanks Sean.

Exactly what i was looking for.

I can now progress in confidence.

Mikee