Unanswered: Raw vs. Cooked Space

Hi all,

I've worked with informix for a very long time and I've always used raw space for our databases. I've been researching about oracle now since our databases are being ported to it. What I've noticed is that even though oracle can handle raw disk space (maybe I'm wrong?) everybody uses cooked files. Why is that? Informix reduces a huge amount of overhead by using raw space, as well as assures that my data is in effect written to disk when Informix tells me so (and not left to the OS's will), wouldn't Oracle benefit from this too?

I'm just curious about this and would really appreciate if someone can shed some light into my question.

Thanks

Luis Torres

Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Bill,

Thanks for the link, it was very interesting reading it. I'm used to working with raw disk (and have my own personal oppinion that its better than cooked) so I guess I would use raw for Oracle too.

Thanks again

Luis Torres

Raw vs. Cooked Space

You may wish to do a bit of research on impact of back and recoverability prior to settling on raw vs "cooked" disks. ^.^