Angry Unanswered: DATEVALUE in query/report

Hi everyone,
    I have a table I inherited. A little over 17,000 records.
    Anyway, the date field was in text data type without template characters (09202003).
    I created a select query to convert it to a real date value with...

Date: DateValue(Left([CertificationDate],2) & "/" & Mid([CertificationDate],3,2) & "/" & Right([CertificationDate],4))

It worked great!! However, every time I try to create a report off the query and group Date by Month or any other grouping that involves this date, Access will only open the report in design view and I receive an error about data type mismatch in the expression criteria.

I have to keep the table the way it is because of third party program outside the agency. Hard to explain! This is why I didn't use a make table query.

What's going on here?

Thanks alot!!

Try using CDate to convert to a date ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

No luck. I still get the same error.
    Very weird.
    "The wizard is unable to preview your report, possibly because another user has the source table open in exclusive mode."

"Data type mismatch in expression criteria"

CDate should work. Are you doing this?:

Date: CDate(Left([CertificationDate],2) & "/" & Mid([CertificationDate],3,2) & "/" & Right([CertificationDate],4))

Talking

Hi BummerJeff,
    That's exactly what I did. It works great when I run the query but when I try to create a report and use that date in grouping, it screws up. If I create the report and don't use the date in grouping but still have it in my detail section, the report opens up just fine. But the report is useless with out date grouping.

It must have something to do with how you're grouping it, because if it's allowing you to group on Month (the Group On section), then it recognizes it as a date. So there should be something else in the report that's conflicting with it. Where are you placing the [Date] control and how is it grouped? (Header, Footer, etc?) Do you have any other groupings?

Good point!

I'm trying to group the report by Region, then County and then Certification date. All headers. In the Certification Date header, the labels for the fields are also present but thats it.