Unanswered: Urgent: file management with SQL Server

Hi all,
    I want to manage tehnical documents (.dwg, .dxf, .doc, xls, .pdf, ...) with SQL Server. I can use the image data type of DBMS but when the many users store their files in database so it network speed is slow.

Can you show me the way to store and open these files in hard disk of server, and filename path of it on server is stored in table of database.

Thanks

Bear

Storing and Opening documents from with in SQL Server is too much of work for SQL Server...

Best way is to store only the file's "path" in a table and use ur clientside/component code do the diry job...:-)

Enableing index server on the file system will also allow you to search the files from SQL using a linked server to the Msidx service.

to: cheriyan and vaxman
    Can you tell me clearly your detailted solutions?
    I don't understant your help.

Many thanks.

Right click My Comptuer+Manage+Services and Applications+Index Server+Right click + Add Directory and choose a directory to index and a place to store the catalog. (Right click Start index server if stopped)

From SQL Query Analyzer session

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver FileSystem,
    'Index Server',
    'MSIDXS',
    'Web'

Then use SQL Queries agsinst the catalog. For example:

SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(FileSystem,
    'SELECT DocAuthor, DocLastAuthor , DocCompany, Write FROM SCOPE('' "c:\filepath" '')
    WHERE CONTAINS(''Distributed'') > 0 AND FileName LIKE ''%.doc%'' ')
    WHERE DATEPART(yy, Write) = 2004

to search against the files on the file system.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;825487 for a description of all of the Index Server fields available for SQL Queries. Your .ASP (or whatever) page shoud retrieve the document from the filesystem and serve the document to the user.

You can also get a PDF index server plug-in from www.adobe.com to add support for .PDF files.
    Last edited by vaxman; 10-27-04 at 04:26.

problem with contains

Hello , I have proved it and I have a problem
    When I ejecute:

SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(FileSystem,
    'SELECT DocAuthor, DocLastAuthor , DocCompany, Write FROM SCOPE('' "c:\pilar" '')
    WHERE CONTAINS(''Distributed'') > 0 AND FileName LIKE ''%.pdf%'' ')
    WHERE DATEPART(yy, Write) = 2004

The result is null but I have a pdf file in c:\pilar and it contains the word ''Distributed''.

Which is the problem?
    Anybody can help me?
    Thanks a lot.