Talking Unanswered: Display text on a form when condition is true

Hi guys, can anyone help me with this? It should be simple but I keep going round in circles.

All I want to do is display a label when a value in a field is over a certain amount. e.g. over 300

It must use the visible property and test for true or false but where do i put the code? There are no event properties for a label. Am I going about it the wrong way. Someone showed me using macros and a text box with setvalue. Seems a bit long winded to me.

Any thoughts?

Um ... Let's see ...

Private SomeTextBox_AfterUpdate()

If SomeTextBox.Value > 300 Then SomeLabel.Visible=True

End Sub

Does this help clarify????
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Talking

Private Sub Over_AfterUpdate()

If Amount.Value > 300 Then Over.Visible = True

End Sub

Ive put this in the AfterUpdate event for the Over (unbound) control.

Nothing happens. All i need to do is display a piece of text on the form which appears when the [AMOUNT]>300.

I really thought what you'd suggested made sense and was surprised when nothing happend. I feel mega stupid as I think this should be an easy procedure. I've been using Access for a long time and still can't crack this one. Many thanks for your help though.

Cheers

Si

Is your text box where you're entering the amount unbound?

no it's a numeric field formated to currency

When you enter a value is the information stored in the underlying table?

Bound means that your control source property of the text box is bound to a field in the form's record source. If you look at the properties of that text box in question, you will see a value in the control source.

yes when you enter an amount the control stores the value in the underlying table.

I am currently trying to display an unbound text box with a simple border. this should appear and dissapear based on the amount field being under or over 300

I believe your control has to be unbound in order for this to work. meaning the control source property cannot contain anything.

Quote Originally Posted by datura654
    Private Sub Over_AfterUpdate()

If Amount.Value > 300 Then Over.Visible = True

End Sub

Ive put this in the AfterUpdate event for the Over (unbound) control.

Nothing happens. All i need to do is display a piece of text on the form which appears when the [AMOUNT]>300.

I really thought what you'd suggested made sense and was surprised when nothing happend. I feel mega stupid as I think this should be an easy procedure. I've been using Access for a long time and still can't crack this one. Many thanks for your help though.

Cheers

Si
    What is the "Over" control? A Label or a TextBox? You asked for help on a label ... Is the Over control hidden? Or is it a textbox that's empty? If so, then you need to do something like: Over.Value="Some Text Here" ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Talking

if i remove the link between the control and the table then the control will not store any values in the table? is that right.

the control that I wish to hide/display is unbound already.

i tried to do this with a label as well as a text box but as there are no event properties for a label this didnt seem to work.

Currently the text box stays on screen regardless of the amount displayed in the amount field.

perhaps i should just tell them I cant do it. Hey it is Friday after all.

I feel your pain... Having similar issues with something I'm working on.

The default visible property has to be set to no for the field you want to appear/disappear, and I believe you have to have the same statement in the Form_Current() as you do in the Control_AfterUpdate().

Other than that I'm at a loss.

Talking

thanks anyway will keep you posted if i manage it

keep an eye on my thread regarding enable field when check box = true. you should be able to replace ".enable" with ".visible" for your case. hope it helps!!