Question Unanswered: Install Anywhere with Access application

I have an Access 2000 database application which we distribute on CD to hundreds of clients who use it to enter data for an ongoing survey. They install it on their own systems, and send the data to us by exporting to a text file then emailing it to us. If they don't have Access 2000 or later then it automatically installs a runtime version of Access.

The problem is that these clients can have any version of Windows. I get a lot of calls with installation problems, different problems with different platforms, often requiring service pack updates, sometimes installation will not run at all and files need to be manually copied from CD. This can be difficult as callers are often not IT literate. Considering using Zero G's 'Install Anywhere' as the installer which is supposed to do just that without the need for SP updates etc - has anyone heard of this, will this be suitable for Access? Any info or comments much appreciated, thanks.

RE: Installation script

Hello swatson500,

If your installation process is just simple as copy file from CD to a location on HDD and create shortcut for mdb/mde on desktop or program file menu etc. then why don't you just write a bat file or VBScript to perform this task.

Hmmm...I've had a look at the "Install Anywhere" website and it's not clear whether you could use it to distribute an Access application. Personally I don't see how you could get any installer apart from the MS Packager to install and register such things as ActiveX controls, the system database and so forth.

However, you can download an evaluation version from the Zero G website, so why don't you do that and try it out? I'd be interested to know how you get on. Good luck.
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

At the moment we just use the package and deployment wizard on Access. Yes it does need to register some ActiveX controls, and seems to update some system files. I'm not sure of how to make it do all that without using the wizard. The cost of a full version of 'Install Anywhere' is quite a lot so actually i don't think there would money available here for that. I might try the evaluation version though.