Question Default password for sa account

Hai,

While installing SQL Server 2000 on my Windows 2000 Advanced Server, i choose Windows Authentication mode, so i was not able to enter a password for sa account. And after installation, in Enterprise Manager i could still see sa account under logins but the account has a password.

So my question is what is the default password for sa account when we choose Windows Authentication mode and is it possible to change the mode from windows Authentication to Mixed Authentication mode after installation, with out re-installaing SQL Server 2000.

Thank you in advance
    With regards
    Sudar

You will be able to change from Windows Authentication to Mixed Authentication mode by following these steps
    1. Open EM
    2. Right click on server name ... click properties.
    3. In window that opens up ... select Security tab
    4. Change authentication from "windows only" to "sql server and windows" .

I believe your default password for SA when you do this will be blank ... so make sure you change it asap.
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

Smile thnks

thnks engima,

I was able to change the mode..

but i belive that the default password is not blank, bcoz when i choosed windows Authentication mode, the sa login was created and when i right clicked the login and choosed properties, it has 10 * in the password field. So the password is made of 10 charcters.
    So i want to what is that password. In oracle we have default username and password as Scott and tiger. Similarly what is the default password for sa login.

thnks and regards
    Sudar

try logging into SQL server with the login sa and blank password ... i believe you will be able to log in.

Smile not able to log in still

During installation i selected Window Authentication and as i guided by u i went to EM and changed the login mode from window only to Window and SQL mode.

But even now i am not able to login with sa account. i used blank password but it is not logging in. I tried to create a different login, and i am able to login with that account but not with sa.

I guess it is bcoz the default password for sa is not blank password. So can u pls tell me what will be the default password for sa account, if no password was provided during installation.

with regards
    Sudar

In the EM .. you should be able to change the password to your choice after logging in with the administrator account in EM

You could also try logging in with user: sa and password: sa, it might work!

Thumbs up

thnks Engima,

My problem was solved. i logged in using the Administrator account and created a seperated login and i am able to log in. thnks for that.

But now the question which is at the back of my mind is, what will be the default password for sa login if we choose Windows Authentication during installation. (A question just out of my curiosity)

Any way thnks again for ur time and ur advice really solved my problem..

with regards
    Sudar

You do not need to create a seperate login ... you can reset the password of the sa account.