Question Unanswered: SQL Server vs. FoxPro

Hi,

There is an issue at my company that creates a lot of confusion. Some people blame the slowness of queries on the FoxPro database, so we're considering to migrate to MS SQL Server.

What is the real difference between MS SQL Server and MS FoxPro?

Isn't MS SQL Server supposed to be faster? (It's a high-performance and very mainstream database, where I personally never knew anybody who used FoxPro). Some people claim that FoxPro performs faster in benchmarks. Is it true? If it is, why don't most people use FoxPro?

Also, when buying the database software for the server, which one is more expensive?

I would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Provided Answers: 54
    Foxpro is basically an ISAM file manager, in dress clothes. SQL Server is a full blown relational database.

Comparing Foxpro and SQL Server is a lot like comparing a BMW motorcycle and a Lear Jet. Both are great examples of fine craftsmanship and great jobs of implementing fine engineering. Both can do certain common tasks (like taking you from Boston to Los Angeles). Each can do tasks that the other can not (the BMW can take you through the Lincoln Tunnel, the Lear Jet can take you to other continents). Speed tests can be contrived to make either one appear "faster" under the correct circumstances.

Each one has tasks that it does well. Overall, I prefer SQL Server for most business tasks. Your milage may vary.

-PatP

Nicely put

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Your milage may vary.
    -PatP
    Wow ... now ... that explains a lot .... and the amount spent on the fuel may vary too
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data