Unanswered: ntdbsmgr.exe memory leak

I have a problem with ntdbsmgr.exe. The file, after a length of time, takes up an extremely large amount of memory. I am running Pervasive 2000i SP4 on a Windows 2003 Server. I talked to Pervasive Technical Support and they told me that 2000i with SP4 has shown to have no problems running with Windows Server 2003. I checked the pvsw.log file and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. Any help would be greatly appreciated...the file is now taking up 224mb of memory.

Provided Answers: 4
    First off, what's your cache set to? Secondly, what in terms of Pervasive are you doing (ODBC, Btrieve, a bit of both, etc)? Third, have you tried upgrading to Pervasive.SQL V8? 2000i SP4 is no longer supported by Pervasive and wouldn't be fixed even if there were a problem.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

where is cache

Where is the cache set at? I am having trouble finding it? And also should we have installed the pervasive server version for a medical software called Lytec. Can we just install the workstation version and have it work across the five computers that use the software. Maybe NTDBSMGR is not a leak but should take 300 MB when busy for five computers. Any suggestions.

Cache is set either through the Pervasive Control Center in the Configuration node then the Performance Tuning section or in the Registry. The setting is in bytes.
    NTDBSMGR.EXE may use 300mb for 5 users depending on various settings. You can install the workgroup version but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Mirtheil Software

response to ntdbsmgr

Thanks for the reply and help. If it does use up to 300 MB does it matter that Soapware is also running on this machine and we are using the true MS SQL engine on this. Do you think that the two database engines are having problems. We see performance problems with soapware (SQL engine) when all users are using Lytec (pervasive engine). Do we need to add more RAM? We already have a gig of memory. Thanks for your help.

Brad Wilson

It's possible that the two engines are using resources from the other. As long as you've got enough resources both Pervasive and MS SQL can reside on the same server.
    Mirtheil Software

What is enough RAM? I have a gig of memory. Should pervasive still be taking 242 MB RAM?

Can Pervasive take 242MB, yes. It depends on your settings. What is your cache set to? That's the biggest chunk of memory Pervasive takes. For example, on my laptop Pervasive is currently taking 30MB but I've only started the machine 20 minutes ago and have not done any Pervasive operations.
    How much RAM is a harder question to answer. It depends. You'll have to do some testing to see if you'r limited by the amount of RAM or there's some other bottleneck on the system. In most systems I've seen, CPU and RAM are not the bottleneck for Pervasive. It's either the disk subsystem (not being fast or robust enough) or bad application/database design.
    Mirtheil Software