Historical data in datawarehouse

Hi,

I designed a datawarehouse that contains only current patient data (i.e. if some data is modified for a patient, the "new" data overwrites the "old" data) in the datawarehouse. This works fine, but the customer wants to have any historical data in addition to the current data in the warehouse.

Do I need to build a separate warehouse that will contain historical data? What are the design considerations in such a case?

I would be glad if someone can you point me some articles or books that can help me.

Thx.

Yanick

add a datetime column to the primary key, and populate the new rows with the timestamp of any change
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

Do you mean having more that one row in the fact table for a particular patient?

Do you apply the same principle to weight tables? (i.e. : allergies, because a patient can have multiple allergies. If the patient's allergies change over time).

How do you build cubes on such a datawarehouse? (since there are more than one row per patient in the fact table)

Thx.

Yanick

Quote Originally Posted by Yanick Mongeau
    Do you mean having more that one row in the fact table for a particular patient?
    of course, each change in patient data is a new fact

Do you apply the same principle to weight tables? (i.e. : allergies, because a patient can have multiple allergies. If the patient's allergies change over time).
    yes

How do you build cubes on such a datawarehouse? (since there are more than one row per patient in the fact table)
    um...

that all depends on which cubes you want, doesn't it?

if you want one row per patient, then obviously you have to summarize something
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Is it me, or is a time dimension missing from this model?