Unanswered: Query total of records that fit the criteria

Hello all,

I am trying to sort out a query.
    There is a table [tblStudentAttendacneIndiv] that holds this data:
    StudentID: Integer
    SessionDate: Date
    Attended: Yes/No

Via a subForm elsewhere, the date and attended fields are assigned. The StudentID field auto matches an autoNumber field from another table [tblStudents].

I need the query to return the number of Yes from the [Attended] field out of the number of Total records for each [StudentID]. This is then turned into my percentage in a final column.

I can do it, but it only returns the percentage for the first [StudentID] IE [SudentID] = 1.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Here is my Query code.

Code:
    StudentID
    tblStudentAttendanceIndiv

StudentID
    tblStudents

Attended
    tblStudentAttendanceIndiv

AttendedCount: DCount("[StudentID]","tblStudentAttendanceIndiv","[Attended] <> 0")

SessionCount: DCount("[StudentID]","tblStudentAttendanceIndiv","[Attended] <> 0" And "[Attended] = 0")

PercentAttendance: ([AttendedCount]*100)/[SessionCount]
    Thanks,
    ChrisOfCatford
    Last edited by ChrisOfCatford; 10-27-04 at 12:42. Reason: Mistake in code

Sorry, just reallised part of what is going on. It is doing all the records, regardless of the [StudentID].
    How can I change the code to make it just do the one?

Results would need to look like
    1 = 54%
    2 = 100%
    and so on.

Thanks,
    ChrisOfCatford

OK, Maybe I am completely going about it the wrong way... Does anyone know how I can do this? It is just counting records with a particular ID in a table and then counting those that say yes in another field.

This MUST be possible... Surely?

Thanks,
    ChrisOfCatford

Assume the table is called 'ClassAttend' and it includes fields for the StudentID, each class date as 'ClassDate', and a Yes/No field called 'Attended'. This should work:

SELECT ClassAttend.StudentID, Count(ClassAttend.ClassDate) AS ClassCount, Sum(IIf([Attended]=Yes,1,0)) AS Attend, round([attend]/[classcount]*100,1) AS AttendPercent
    FROM ClassAttend
    GROUP BY ClassAttend.StudentID;

TD

Hi TD,

Thanks for your time. I used your query code, changing where relevant and now it looks like this:

SELECT tblStudentAttendanceIndiv.StudentID, Count(tblStudentAttendanceIndiv.SessionDate) AS ClassCount, Sum(IIf([Attended]=Yes,1,0)) AS Attend, round([Attend]/[ClassCount]*100,1) AS AttendPercent
    FROM tblStudentAttendanceIndiv
    GROUP BY tblStudentAttendanceIndiv.StudentID;

I am getting an error:
    Characters found after end of SQL Statement.

I'm not sure why you would be getting that. I actually developed this as a Select Query within Access and then output the SQL so I could paste it into here and it worked. The one thing that may need to be addressed is where I have 'Sum(IIf([Attended]=Yes' may need to be 'Sum(IIf([ClassAttend]![Attended]=Yes', and then you would need to change [ClassAttend]! to tblStudentAttendanceIndiv. and change [Attended] to whatever you have called your yes/no field.

I hope that does the trick.

Thanks TD, that mostly works now. I was adding your SQL to the end of an existing query. Sorry, I am not used to that view.

I am just stuck on the percentage bit. I got an error You tried to use.....as part of an aggregate function... I am paraphrasing because I have changed the code so that it doesn't do that. It was concerned with just the last bit, used to get my percentages.

I tried a simple one like that in my first code:
    TotalAttend: ([ClassCount]*100)/[Attend]

But when I do that it asks for both values. I thought that they were defined in the previous columns. This is frustrating because I can see the values in the two columns but I can't seem to use them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    ChrisOfCatford
    My whole SQL so far:
    SELECT tblStudentAttendanceIndiv.StudentID, Count(tblStudentAttendanceIndiv.SessionDate) AS ClassCount, Sum(IIf([Attended]=Yes,1,0)) AS Attend, ([ClassCount]*100)/[Attend] AS TotalAttend
    FROM tblStudentAttendanceIndiv
    GROUP BY tblStudentAttendanceIndiv.StudentID, ([ClassCount]*100)/[Attend];

I'm not sure why it isn't working. As I said, I designed this in a Select Query and it worked and then I just viewed the SQL so I could copy and paste it here. Here is a very small database with the single table with 48 records and then a query that outputs the attendance percentages. I zipped the file so it is very small.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi TD,

Thanks for posting your sample. I am not with the DB at the mo so I will check it over later. Presumably I have just changed one of my fields incorrectly, I will post if I get it to work.
    I managed to use a form field to do the calc for the moment, which saves my sanity, but eventually to output to report I will need to get your version working really.

Thanks again,
    ChrisOfCatford

Hi once more,

Sorted. It was again attention to detail that was needed. I had not set it as an expression so it did not work. That setting changed, the whole thing works just as it should.

Many thanks,
    ChrisOfCatford