Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: What's a good SQL Editor?

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if there's a better SQL Editor than MS Query Analyzer on the market? I like a lot of the functionality provided by QA but want extra stuff like you get in VB6: intelli-sense (sytanx prompting), auto-complete (CTRL+Space provides list of sp's and tables, etc.) plus any other time saving features.

I've tried a few products but nothing quite hits the mark. Is there a program you use and recommend I trial?

Cheers - Andy

Quite franky I use the analyzer mostly. On the side, I do use ultraedit as my main editor. If you load a .sql file and configure transact-sql as filetype, the editor can deal with auto-complete. Ultraedit does have a few nasty traits though...

You try PrimalScript. It has some auto-complete functions & snippets. It supports many languages, like SQL, Perl, PHP, Vbscript, etc...

Have fun !

You should try PrimalScript. It has some auto-complete functions & snippets. It supports many languages, like SQL, Perl, PHP, Vbscript, etc...

Have fun !

Thanks Kuzco! I'll give it a shot.

Andy

Oups... I made a double click....
    Last edited by kuzco; 10-28-04 at 08:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiowas
    Ultraedit does have a few nasty traits though...
    i use ultraedit all the time, i even paid for a copy for my own use at home

have never seen any "nasty traits"

can you give examples so that i can watch out for them?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Try ApexSQL's SQL Edit. It' a new product so it has some quirks but has autocomplete, intellisense, source control integration, quick info lookups, etc...

http://www.apexsql.com

Another editor to try would be Aquafold

http://www.aquafold.com/

Like, wow!

Thanks everyone for your very helpful suggestions. I am downloading trial versions for the all.

Cheers - Andy

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    can you give examples so that i can watch out for them?
    jup; these I know from the top of my head, their not devestating, sometimes just a bit annoying...

Macro implementation is poor.
    Can't seem to get hold of it's regular expressions (but that's probably me). When UTF-8 Autodetect is turned ON, UEdit treats xml/xsd files by default as UTF-8 and saves them likewise (1 byte -> 2 bytes): xml parses won't deal with it.

oh: this is one really over the top:
    create a new file
    enter a single character on position 0,1
    search for it, twice.

There are a few more, but don't recall them right now...

Provided Answers: 54
    Is there a reason that you don't use Visual Studio to edit your SQL files? I don't remember if the tempates come with the Professional version or if I had to download them, but that sounds like the best answer I've heard for your needs.

-PatP

kaiowas, thanks, i have no difficulty with regexps, and the search twice issue to find a single character at position 0,1 is hardly a problem

pat, the reason i don't use visual studio is because i don't have it, that's why

but i know your question was not directed at me
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Notepad + trained brain is the solution

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by r937
    pat, the reason i don't use visual studio is because i don't have it, that's why

but i know your question was not directed at me
    Sorry, I should have been more explicit on that!

Yes, since Andy was looking for Visual Studio features, I assumed that he already has Visual Studio (an assumption, but it seems safe enough to me).

95% of the time I use Query Analyzer to edit my SQL, I rarely bother with anything else. If I'm already in Visual Studio editing something else, I don't have any problem editing a related SQL file there though.

Long ago and far away I had a near religous attachment to an editor (VI, then Brief), but I've become editor-agnostic. Then again, I was once religiously attached to both PL/1 and C, but have become language-agnostic. Of course, I was also pretty attached to IMAGE (an old HP database product) and Vulcan (an old CP/M database that became dBase), but now I'm even DB-agnostic. Amazing what happens over the years, and how mentally flexible you can become (too bad that doesn't work physically!!!).

-PatP