Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3

    Unhappy Unanswered: OLE Dirty B*st*rd

    Hey all,

    I have a question for all those much wiser than I in the ways of the database:

    A day or so ago, I tried to mail merge a letter in MS word, with the data source being an excel spread sheet. Well, the letter template that I made to merge from was, apparently, huge. So when I tried to merge the letter, my computer froze and required a restart.

    Now, I'm trying to export data from my Access 2000 database (on a Windows XP machine), and I keep getting the error:
    Microsoft Access can't start the OLE server.
    "You tried to use a form, report, or datasheet that contains an OLE object, but the OLE server (the application used to create the object) may not be registered properly. Reinstall the OLE server to register it properly."

    So far, I've repaired MSOffice, I've reinstalled MSOffice, and I've disabled script blocking in my Norton AntiVirus, but to no avail. From all the help documents I've been reading, I'm starting to suspect the problem was caused by my enormous letter merge of some days ago. If anyone out there can help this accidental techie fix the problem, I'd be most grateful.
    Thanks,

    Kerry

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,312
    Do you use Outlook? If so have you opened it? It sounds weird but I had similar issues when I was writing an Access program to create a Word document. If my program exitted improperly and the OLE Server got messed up I would kill all the Microsoft Word tasks using the Task Manager and then open Outlook. Outlook uses Word as the editor when I write emails. If I forgot to open Outlook I would get a message like the one you are getting. In the process of opening Outlook it was always able to fix the server.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    Alas, I have Outlook open, but still no dice - same OLE error message. It may have been too much to hope for that direct a fix. Thank you all the same.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sussex, England
    Posts
    404

    Corrupt Office (no - not political)

    I have had this problem in the past, but not as a result of a mailmerge gone wrong. I even tried to manually register the .dll file associated with the program - that didn't help. I think I had to repair Windows (but it was 98 so that might not help here), remove Office completely, and do a fresh reinstall. I honestly don't know if that will help your problem. I suspect the correct approach is to fix something in the registry, but I wouldn't know which key to bugger up in there.

    Try this link - it sounds like they've got a possible solution:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;302962

    By the way I enjoyed your title: "OLE Dirty B*st*rd"

    Good luck.
    Last edited by Ryker; 10-29-04 at 18:55. Reason: Added link

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    Well, thank you for the moral support, at any rate. I think this is just part of the "accidental" part of the "accidental techie" experience. I suspect there may be a visual basic solution to the problem, too, but damned if I know what it is. What I need is an angelic circuit rider to swoop down upon this tiny non-profit, fix the issue, and then mentor me in the ways of the code.

    Not holding my breath,

    Kerry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •