Question Unanswered: password in table

I have access 2000 to connect to sql 2000 through linked table.
    I have one table user, with column password. When I open the access table, I can read the password. I want to encrypt the password column, so when user open the table, they are not able to read the password.

I know we can use binary in SQL, but it can’t be recorganized in access.

Anybody know how to encrypt the password in a table??

Thank you so much

I know there an input mask of 'password' will hide the actual data.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by huela
    I have access 2000 to connect to sql 2000 through linked table.
    I have one table user, with column password. When I open the access table, I can read the password. I want to encrypt the password column, so when user open the table, they are not able to read the password.

I know we can use binary in SQL, but it can’t be recorganized in access.

Anybody know how to encrypt the password in a table??

Thank you so much
    Good morning neighbor,

Just a thought. I have a database and use a table to store the user name and password also. BUT, what I do is HIDE the entire table from users. You shouldn't have need for your users to access that table anyway. Passwords and stuff should be kept out of normal reach. What you do is ReName your table, but use this as the first four letters: USys As soon as you ReName it the table just vanishes...voila. However, it is there, but only YOU know where it is. To make it reappear go to Tools/Options/View and place a Check in the SystemObjectsbox and it reappears. You can always rename it back to how you had it and let me remain visible. BUT, remember, before you close your database, go back to Tools/Options/View and REMOVE that checkmark so that the System Files are again hidden. Anyhow, just wanted to give you another option.

have a nice one,
    Bud

Exclamation

Oh huela btw,

As a general rule, it is not a good thing to have end users have access to your tables. Let then use the forms that you design and leave the tables to the mechanics to use. That can be very catastrophic if the users are not sure what they are doing or just get to poking around and get to DesignView and wreak havoc on your table. Just a tip passed down to me long ago.

cya
    Bud

the point of a password is security. if your security depends on folk not knowing how to unhide tables or not knowing about the usys trick, it's not very secure.

if you must play with home-made security, store only encrypted passwords in the the table: plaintext passwords in a table are too easy!

when the user tries to login in, encrypt the password attempt and compare with the encrypted version you have in the table.

try a one-way hash. there are some links here, or if you are feeling particularly brave you can try my home-made A-VBA bit-block transform hash (attached as text... there are some instructions at the top of the file).

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

ooops.

was originally without Option Explict.
    there are two missing declarations in izycryptpad() if you are using Explicit:
    Dim tform As Integer
    Dim getnum As integer

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    the point of a password is security. if your security depends on folk not knowing how to unhide tables or not knowing about the usys trick, it's not very secure.
    That is very true, but this person was already the one behind the scenes and I took it the one creating and maintaining the database. Using Access security would be a good choice but they seemed to want to use their own version. What I told them was how to HIDE the table they said they were already using. So what I told him/her was how to HIDE it so the other users, who should not be needing to get to that table anyhow, would not even know it exists anyway. And later explained that he/she should think about letting all users work from the Tables anyway. So again, that was to answer that person's question about Hiding that particular information in a Table from the end users. Of course the developer should know how to get in and out of it. I found it out myself in an Access book. So was just trying to help with what was asked. Again, users working with the tables DIRECT is possibly disastrous....take it from someone who's been there.

anyhow, have a nice one all,
    Bud

thanks Bud and izyrider:

You guys gave me great idea how to deal these type questions. both of your idea are good.

appreciate for your help.

bud, thank you for let me know one more tip.

thanks Bud and izyrider:

You guys gave me great idea how to deal these type questions. both of your idea are good.

appreciate for your help.

bud, thank you for let me know one more tip.