Unanswered: after installed mysql, only test database show

hi, good day, i have install mysql with 4.0.2a version, when i start mysql and using "show databases" command , it only contain test database , why is it so ? i couln't found "mysql" database inside ..anyone can guide to solve this problem ? thank you !!

did you log into mysql as the root user?

yes, i'm under computer administrator account in winxp

no, not who you are logged into in XP. When you log into mysql do you do it as the root user for mysql or do you do it as a user where you might not have set up privileges properly?

you need to run from command line the following

mysql -uroot -p (if your root account for mysql has a password)

have a nice day.

yes, ok ...i still log in as root ,

what i have did

1) after installed, i use "mysqladmin -u root password 'password' " command to set first time password, then restart pc

2) enter mysql using command "mysql -u root -p" , enter password 'password' which i already defined ..but cannot access

3) then i just type "mysql" ..it allow me to go in ..however, i use "show databases;" , it only show me test database, but no mysql db reside

anyone know what problem is it

If you just type mysql and it allows you in then you haven't changed your mysql table which by default allows connections by any user from localhost without a password. But then as an anonymous user you have no permissions to see any databases you may have set up.

when you say you can't get in as root, please post the error message you get.

when i use command "mysql -u root -p", it show error 1045 : accessed denies for user, 'root@localhost' <using pasword : yes>

then if i use command "mysql", it let me go in, then i try to use "update user set password=PASSWORD('password') where user='root'" command to update password but it show me error 1046 : no database selected