Question Unanswered: Reports: Group totals when using a user defined function

I'm working on a complicated report.

The details rows of the report show the yield of different crops for a farmer for a season eg column 1 shows cotton, column 2 shows maize etc.

The value for each crop comes from a function. I had to put it in a function because the query itslef to get the yield is quite complicated, not just a straightforward query.

All the farmers are grouped into co-operatives.

On teh report I have my grouping set up OK, but I cant get the summary totals for each crop in the group. The totals for the acreage appears OK because acreage is just a field in the query. The totals dont appear for each crop because those values are coming from a function.

I've tried naming the fields eg txtCottonYield, and then in the group footer putting =SUM[txtCottonYield], but when I run the report the dialog pops up asking me to enter the value for txtCottonYield as if its a parameter.

How do I get the group total?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi village idiot (surly not!)

I assume that the user defined function has arguments that reference the field in the report records detail rows.

If this is the case, then I suggest that you put the User Defined Function in the report’s underlying query as a field source, with the fields as arguments as before. You will then be able to use the sum([CottonYield]) function in the group footer as the values are part of the report query and not calculated on the report.

ie. SELECT UserDefinedFunctionName( [CottonField1Name], …..) AS CottonYield, UserDefinedFunctionName( [MaizeField1Name], …..) AS MaizeYield, …..

Hope that makes sense…

MTB

Thanks Mike, that works.

My query is now rather large though, and I know as soon as someone else gets there hands on it they'll tinker with it and break it. Is there definetly no way to use a SUM function on a field that uses as user defined function?

What sort of bike have you got?

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi Again

Sorry about the delay, hvet been a little busy.

I have not, as yet, found a method of using aggregate function tor SUM. AVE, MAX etc. calulated controls (not bound to a form/report underying query), but it hasn't been for the want of trying!

Has anyone else found a method ??

Sadly I have not owned a bike since 1973, but I havn't given up hope! The last one was a Triumph Trophy TR6, and before that a Goldstar DBD34 in full clubmans trim (wish I had it now!!).

MTB