Unanswered: Help with .ixf file please

Hello -

I am new to this forum, so I hope I'm in the right spot, or if someone can point me to the forum I should try - I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope someone can help me, as I'm running out of time for this project...
    I am being supplied a .ixf file from an agency, and I need to bring this file into a format that can be imported into an Oracle 9i database. It can be converted to a .csv file, or other format that Oracle can import. Has anyone come across any method that has been done to do this??

Thanks much in advance

ixf files are only read by db2.
    It contains the create statement of the table.

so you can do that

1. import the data into a db2 table.

2. export that data into a delimited file by using db2 export command.

regards

Mujeeb

Quote Originally Posted by tzarrelli
    Hello -

I am new to this forum, so I hope I'm in the right spot, or if someone can point me to the forum I should try - I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope someone can help me, as I'm running out of time for this project...
    I am being supplied a .ixf file from an agency, and I need to bring this file into a format that can be imported into an Oracle 9i database. It can be converted to a .csv file, or other format that Oracle can import. Has anyone come across any method that has been done to do this??

Thanks much in advance
    Just to elaborate on bmujeeb's post, use the IMPORT with the CREATE option, in case you're not familiar with it. That will create the table with the original column definitions.

ie:
    db2 import from exportfile.ixf of ixf create into MYTABLE

Then do your export in a format Oracle will find friendly, maybe DEL?
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

Thanks much ... That is what I feared... I'm not sure we have db2 anyplace here... I know the other agency used a PC db2 (??) forgive my lack of db2 knowledge... Can any version of db2 read this type of file??

Do you (or anybody) know if this is something that can be easily or fairly easily converted to a .csv or other delimited text file?? Would there be quite a bit of "data stripping" to get at what I need? I'm confused as to what bmujeeb means by "it contains the create statement of the table".

Has anybody done a conversion from .ixf to a text file without db2?

Thanks again....

The db2 export/import command is there from version 5.
    You can get more information by typing ? import at the db2 prompt.
    The ixf file contains the create table command along with the data,
    but in a format that db2 understand.Use what J has said.
    also this command must on the pc if the db2(any edition) installed on that machine.

regards

Mujeeb

The easiest way will be to use db2 ....

But, if you would be happy to write a code to parse the ixf file and save as a csv file then the structure of the ixf file is documented in the ibm db2 manuals ... In the information centre search for 'PC Version of IXF File Format' ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s
    The easiest way will be to use db2 ....

But, if you would be happy to write a code to parse the ixf file and save as a csv file then the structure of the ixf file is documented in the ibm db2 manuals ... In the information centre search for 'PC Version of IXF File Format' ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    If you're REXX is solid... someone posted a REXX script on the newsgroup a long time ago. Go to www.deja.com and search for "convert an IXF" (including quotes), you'll pull it up.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

REXX?????? I pulled it up to see if it made any sense to me whatsoever.. and nope... some of it was in french too, I believe... but... thanks anyway.... I'll keep looking... Or, try to figure out something in Perl..

Quote Originally Posted by tzarrelli
    REXX??????
    Sorry, all I could find.

Just install db2 personal edition on a window box somewhere, it's a free trial period and will save you so much time.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant