Unanswered: Access Report to Word Document

Hi all.
    I'm trying to take access reports and save them in a word format without losing the formatting i've put into the access report. I know you can export it as a .rtf and it doesn't look terribly awful but i'd like to know if there is a way to keep the lines and colors that i have on my original report. exporting it as an html file also loses all the formatting. I've been looking for some type of add in that will allow to me to do this but so far have come up with nothing. if anyone can help me out, it would greatly appreciated. have a good day.

What is the reason that you have to export it to word and not a snapshot or a pdf?

You can make a word template and populate it with data from an access database:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Data..._21023384.html

here are some programs for purchase:

http://www.programurl.com/software/export-report.htm

Keep formatting of a report

Why not just PDF it? You'll lose the ability to manipulate the date but you'll keep the format. www.adobe.com

Or snapshot - snapshot is free.
    have fun!

Todd S.
    click to email

Independent Development Consultant
    Biz db & reports - SQL, Access, Crystal, Seradex and more
    Small, custom, unique programs - Office, VBA, .NET

Sadly, there was no error number to look up ...

Hi BrewCrew,

Not sure if that is doable or easy if so. Why not go to Word, create a template of how you want the report to look. Just do your best to mimic the design you have in Access. Word will actually give you better ways to dress up your report too. Then just go to Access and go to the toobar and click on "Merge it with MS Word". The Wizard will take you through the steps. You can at some point in it choose a Template/Document already created, as well as make a new one on the fly. Just set up whatever fields you wish to pull data from Access into and that's about it. You would actually base the Merge on the Query that your Report is based on.
    I have done this a few times and it's pretty neat and easy to do.

hope you can make it work,
    Bud

BrewCrew,
    I agree with tcace; snapshot is the way to go. If you have already designed your report in Access the way that you want it, there is no reason to design a template and then merge it to Word or output it to a PDF that won't necessarily replicate the layout completely, plus in many cases the PDF creation requires you to purchase additional software (yes I'm aware that there is a free version of CutePDF). Sending the report to a snapshot format retains all of the design aspects of the original report and the Snapshot Viewer is a free download for the recipient of your report. But ultimately, you have to decide. Check this out for some insight. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...612151033.aspx

Hi buckeye_td,
    Yes, you are right and I am very familiar with Snapshot view. I had to load it on my jobs too. But this person for some reason wanted it in Word. Maybe something new to me but didn't know you could use Snapshot inside of Word to save or whatever. See, we all learn something here. Only reason I suggested that was because sometimes I wanted the data created in Access report in Word as well to make it a bit more fancy with different fonts and colors. So you can import a Snapshot into Word and use it? Or will it just be like a pasted image? Just wanted to know in case the user has specific reasons for wanting it in Word and then I too shall know.
    hope you all have a great day,
    Bud

Mail Merge?

Couldn't you create a template mail merge in word to extract the data?

Hi Bud,
    I'm not suggesting that you can use a snapshot view within Word. I thought that BrewCrew was asking about sending it to Word because he needed something to put his report in so he could pass it along to someone and .rtf and HTML did not suffice. I was just pointing out that if BrewCrew's report was already designed the way he wanted it, that I recommend using the Snapshot output. The mail merge into a Word template is a good solution if it has to be in Word or if you haven't already designed an acceptable report in Access. If you like the report that you've designed in Access and just want a means to distribute it electronically and you want it to look like you printed it straight out of your own database, I don't think you can beat the Snapshot output.

TD

Quote Originally Posted by christyxo
    Couldn't you create a template mail merge in word to extract the data?
    Yes christyxo, that was my suggestion earlier. But now not sure what the user's situation really was. That's the way I have used it to make more fanciful reports. But as stated by buckeye_td sending it to someone as a SnapShot view is simple. But make sure you loaded the snapviewer file as Access doesn't load it automatically always.

well off to the mall for a few. Hey, where ya been anyway christyxo??? Used to see you a lot on here, but haven't seen you lately.

have a nice one
    Bud

hi all, thank you for all of your responses. The reason i would like to export it to word is because instead of printing the access report and faxing it to the destination. we would like to simply email the report to the buyer. the issue i have with the snapshot is do you have to have the viewer to see this? if you do, we can't tell all our customers they have to get the viewer to view their orders. can i export the report to a .pdf? if that is easy enough, i could do that without tying anything crazy and most people have the adobe viewer to see these reports. i like that idea because you can't manipulate the data at all. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks bud,

i like the idea of merging it into microsoft word with the use of a template. what i don't understand how to do though is how to display an array of records without having to make a number of bookmarks on my template. What happens is, a load is shipped out, it can have an indefinate number of trailers on it. i need to report to display the load information and all the trailer information also. there is no definate number of trailers but the trailer section looks the same for all of them. Because of this, i'd like to just make one simple format for the trailers and put it onto the word document. I'd like it to put all the trailers in the array on the report though, based on a load number. is there any way to do that at all?