Thread: insert question

Unanswered: insert question

Hey,

I am trying to update a particular field in a table that is part of the Primary Key for that table. There are 9,386 rows I am trying to update. The current value in the field is 0, and I am trying to turn those values to 2004. When I run the update statement, I get this:

DB21034E The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned:
    SQL0803N One or more values in the INSERT statement, UPDATE statement, or foreign key update caused by a DELETE statement are not valid because the primary key, unique constraint or unique index identified by "6" constrains
    table "GLCONSOL" from having duplicate rows for those columns.
    SQLSTATE=23505

How is this accomplished?
    Thx!

Provided Answers: 5
    Primary key are unique by definition. You are changing one or more rows that are trying to make a non-unique primary key value.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by rvsc36
    Hey,

I am trying to update a particular field in a table that is part of the Primary Key for that table. There are 9,386 rows I am trying to update. The current value in the field is 0, and I am trying to turn those values to 2004. When I run the update statement, I get this:

DB21034E The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned:
    SQL0803N One or more values in the INSERT statement, UPDATE statement, or foreign key update caused by a DELETE statement are not valid because the primary key, unique constraint or unique index identified by "6" constrains
    table "GLCONSOL" from having duplicate rows for those columns.
    SQLSTATE=23505

How is this accomplished?
    Thx!
    Check the docs for SQL0803... "db2 ? sql0803", it has this useful query for determining which unique index you're tripping over:

SELECT INDNAME, INDSCHEMA
    FROM SYSCAT.INDEXES
    WHERE IID = <index-id>
    AND TABSCHEMA = 'schema'
    AND TABNAME = 'table'

Once you know the index, check the columns and make sure you're update will keep that set of columns unique for all rows.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

Thanks for all of the information. I appreciate everyone's input.