Unanswered: Access MSDE instance remotely

I have a named instance of MSDE running on my windows 2k3 web server. I can connect just fine using ODBC to that DB whailst I am on the server.

I would like to be able to create an ODBC connection from my local machine (running Windows XP pro) to the MSDE database on my server but I can't get it going.

I have heard that I need to edit the registry but a Google search warns that this could be a vulnerability...

How do I do it without compromising the security of my web server?

TIA

Mostly, when you install MSDE by default settings, net library are not installed. Have a look to the Readme.html, or install Network client ton activate Named pipes or TCP/IP.

I have the SQL server network utility installed as I can see it when I use the command svrnetcn.exe

Do I need to add a new pipe? I'm a noob at this sort of thing I'm afraid so an idiot proof answer will probably be needed!

Next to what you said above, it seems that there is no net library installed. So install Named pipes and TCP/IP. Confirm, and try aggain to connect to the named instance from your machine.

I'm sorry but I don't follow you. How do I do this?

ok progress "I think"

I'm now connecting to the server but I get this:
    http://www.openmindhosting.com/odbc.jpg

I'm using the same login I use for RDC connections to the server so I know its the admin account...

Good ! Now, I think the problem is the authentication (I can see login failed for 'Administrator').

Try to use the account sa with its password (you must have configured it at install). If not, it must be empty (that is a bad thing )

ok I finally managed to login through ODBC. I had to log off on my local machine and then logon using the same username and password as the server. I then adjusted the ODBC connection so that it used windows authentication and itc reated the datasource!

Marvellous I thought!

Logged back off and then back on as my normal user, which is also an admin account and then tried to set the datasource in the ColdFusion adminstrator and was told it was not a trusted connection for user NULL. Grrrrrrr

Thumbs up

So, good !

It would be if I didn't want to use CF to connect to the database!

I'll figure it out... Thanks for your help...

Sorry, I don't know how ineract Coldfusion with SQL. Maybe you would ask to r937 ? I think he knows CF !