Question Unanswered: Newbie: Foxbase+ migration to MS Access?

Hi -

I'm a novice MS Access programmer with zero knowledge of Foxbase+, and I've suddenly found myself having to convert a circa 1989 Foxbase+ application over to a newer database. I'm working with a small pawnshop/jewelry broker that has been in operation since forever and their old database has approximately 20,000 records in about 10 different tables. They also have an old Panasonic KX-P1595 printer attached to LPT1 that they use to print two basic reports. Its a long ugly story how I got into this - but they have decided that they want to upgrade to Windows XP systems with USB printers, etc, and they want me to help.

I have two problems here:

1) Need to analyze the table structure and relationships in the Foxbase database and re-create in Access. Looking for any Foxbase user documentation that might assist in this.

2) Looking for an interim solution for printing the old reports for a week or so while I create the new database. Need to print from the Foxbase app on Windows XP, either to the old dot matrix printer, or to the new Epson USB printer. Looking for any information on how to find XP drivers for the dinosaur printer, or a way to trick the Foxbase app into dumping its output to the new Epson USB.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek
    dnadler74@bellsouth.net

My question first and foremost is... Why would you want to go from FoxBase to Access ?

Secondly, Why not just go to Visual FoxPro (VFP). VFP will automatically convert 100% of your code (yes.. they do look ugly) but they are functional.

Also, you will not have to modify your data structures as VFP will make whatever changes you will need.

If you are interested in doing this MAKE SURE you update a COPY of the code and NOT your original code.

And lastly... If you need any help please feel free to contact me here or you can send an email to compusol@myrapidsys.com

AmcAmx
    MCP, Visual Foxpro

cost issue

Well mostly because we're trying to keep costs to a minimum. We've already bought MS Office w/Access (perhaps prematurely) and I don't have access to the VFP package, nor do I know anything about it. I'm guessing there are advantages to using VFP over Access - but I'm ill-informed on the subject.

After further examination I've managed to open and import the .dbf files directly using Access. The table structure appears to be very simple with only two or three related tables in use. I'm halfway through with redesigning the input forms and I only have to do two or three reports. Access still seems like the best option for me. The major problem still is the interim printing issue while I'm working on the new app.

Thanks for the input.