Unanswered: Need help putting a query into a recordset

Can someone show me how to execute an Access query into a recordset? I'm having some difficutly and can't find the answer online.

Below is my attempt:

Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim dbs As DAO.Database

Set dbs = CurrentDb
    Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("App_Daily_sls_LY_Fnl")

This is giving me the error "Invalid operation."

Thanks for your help!

What kind of a query is it? An action query (Delete, Update, Append, Make Table) or a SELECT.

If it is an action query then you want to use something like

DoCmd.OpenQuery "App_Daily_sls_LY_Fnl"

re

It is a SELECT query

Can you open the query without an error? Because I don't see anything wrong with you code. When you get the error, what line does it highlight when you debug it?

re

Yes the query runs fine in access.

Below is the line that throws the error:

The query is:

SELECT SALES_DAILY_SLS_HST.STORE_CD, tbl01Days.t01CaDt, tbl01Days_1.t01Year, GL_ACCT_PER.[SEQ#], IIf(Mid([FB_CD],3,2)=Mid(tbl01Days.t01Year,3,2),[SLS_AMT],0) AS SaTD, IIf(Mid([FB_CD],3,2)=Mid((tbl01Days.t01Year-1),3,2),[SLS_AMT],0) AS SaLD, SALES_DAILY_SLS_HST.DT, SALES_DAILY_SLS_HST.DT AS DTLY
    FROM GL_ACCT_PER, SALES_DAILY_SLS_HST INNER JOIN (tbl01Days AS tbl01Days_1 INNER JOIN tbl01Days ON tbl01Days_1.t01DaYr = tbl01Days.t01DaYr) ON SALES_DAILY_SLS_HST.DT = tbl01Days_1.t01CaDt
    WHERE (((tbl01Days.t01CaDt)<DateAdd("d",1,[Forms]![frm25Sale]![dbc25Date])) AND ((tbl01Days_1.t01Year)=(select t01year from tbl01days where t01cadt = Forms![frm25Sale]![dbc25Date])-1) AND ((SALES_DAILY_SLS_HST.DT) Between [GL_ACCT_PER].[BEG_DT] And [GL_ACCT_PER].[END_DT]) AND ((GL_ACCT_PER.FB_CD)="FY" & Mid((select t01year-1 from tbl01days where t01cadt = Forms![frm25Sale]![dbc25Date]),3,2)) AND ((tbl01Days.t01Year)=(select t01year from tbl01days where t01cadt =Forms![frm25Sale]![dbc25Date])));

I think the problem is that the default recordset type is a Dynaset, which allows you to modify the data in the query, and I bet this query is not updateable. So change your line:

To:
    Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset("App_Daily_sls_LY_Fnl", dbOpenSnapShot)

And see if that works.

re

It's giving me a "DAO.Database Invalid Operation" error