Help with DB design - travel website

Hi All,

I am designing a database for a travel website. Primarily, the site will be selling golf rounds. On top of the rounds there will also be packages including golf rounds, as well as hotels and transportation.

The information for the rounds will be very detailed and trying to model a hotel booking from a round would be impratical.. or would it? I am wondering how i might design the database. Would you all suggest seperate tables for each "product" (rounds, hotels, transportation etc.) ? The orders and subequent vouchers will also be very detailed for each specific "product" . Hope this question makes sense.

Also how might i represent a package and the pricing for packages in this situation?

Thanks

I am also about to launch a travel website. Have you tried to model you data on paper?

That's definetely the first step

Model on paper

Hi Sandro,

I am creating an ERD using Visio. I actually have a site built and a seperate backend that has a more up to date model.. Neither are perfect so i am building a completely new system. In the backend EVERYTHING is explicitly defined. So there are tables for transportation, hotels, rounds, etc. I know this model works BUT i just don't know if it's the way to go.. As the site and business change will the model scale? I have all these use cases in my head and i know where the problems will arise... BUT i am sure that someone with more experience can probably see a bigger picture.

How's your project coming along? Do you have any links for reference? I haven't found any tutorials, books etc. that use a travel site as an example.

Data Models on this Site will help you.

Hi,

The Database Answers web site has a Library of Free Database designs :-
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm

This includes a total of more than 200 Data Models, including some relevant to your requirements, such as Golf Tournaments, Hotel Reservations and Travel Agents.

I suggest that you request the Databases that are suitable and combine what you need to give you a 'Kick-Start' to your Project.

Good Luck !

B.Dimple
    DBA

Hi RW fresh,

I am a travel agent and I am falling into travel database business but I am a newbie. All the experience I have is Industry needs and i am creating my projects based on that.

My database design skills are weak but I believe putiing diagrams on paper helps me visualize better the project.

I will launching my website next week and I will send the link.

Cheers

Hey Dimple,

There was a fantastic link. Thanks

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdimple
    Hi,

The Database Answers web site has a Library of Free Database designs :-
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm

This includes a total of more than 200 Data Models, including some relevant to your requirements, such as Golf Tournaments, Hotel Reservations and Travel Agents.

I suggest that you request the Databases that are suitable and combine what you need to give you a 'Kick-Start' to your Project.

Good Luck !

B.Dimple
    DBA
    Thanks a million!