Unanswered: Matching 2 fields in open form control button

Hello all, I am fairly new to Access and have stumbled on a small problem. I have a table in my database with two fields, one is "Part_Number" and the other is "Alternate_Number", there are also some other fields that describe the unit. What I currently have is a form that will allow you to search for a part number and display it in a form called "Part Search Results". This is currently being done with the control button wizard to open a form and match two fields. I would like to be able to enter in a number in the part search field and then have it query the database to find all records that are matching the "Part_Number" and "Alternate_Number" fields. Then open the "Part Search Results" form.

You want to search for number X in both the "Part_Number" and "Alternate_Number" fields?

Do you want to find records where both part number and alternate number are = X or where either number is = to X?

I want to search for number X in both the "Part_Number" and "Alternate_Number" fields?

in the WHERE clause of your query you can put the condition part_number = X or alt_number = X

I'm fairly good with SQL, but when I use the Control Button wizard to make a button to open a form it does not ask me for SQL. It instead asks me to choose a field from the two tables and make them equal. I have played around with the event procedure in VB to allow wildcard searches, and have tried to put in a sort of "where" clause but no luck.

What I basically want is a button that will open up a form after it queries the table based on the input, but it needs to search two fields in the table.

When you open this new form, you can put your query in the form's record source via VB code.

Inside the form's onopen event:
    form1.recordsource = "SELECT [field1], [field2] FROM [Table1] WHERE [field1] = X OR [field2] = X"
    form1.requery

Are you familiar with VB?

Not really, but I'm sure I can figure it out from youe example. Thanks alot.