Unanswered: What's the difference?

I'm new to Oracle from SQL Server and would like to know (quick 'n' dirty) the difference between:

1. database
    2. Application Server
    3. Client
    4. Lite

I'd also like to download the Personal files from the OTN but with so many files to choose from, I don't know where to start. (Those are not small files by the way! So if I download the wrong one, it's time wasted.)

And should I get 10g or 9i or 8i -- for learning purposes at home?

I hope someone can help. Any other suggestions on resource leads would be very much welcome.

Thank you thank you thank you.

You should really start searching on the web if you want to LEARN.
    Your questions are too much generic, what's the difference between a Database and an Application Server? c'mon!

If you have some more specific questions or problems, I'll be glad to help you.

Do you want to learn for a DBA or to develop?

Red face Re: What's the diff?

> If you have some more specific questions or problems, I'll be glad to help you.

You're right. Looking back, I feel as though my brain cells didn't even spark with those questions. Maybe I have burn out -- psychologically asking myself, "Do I have to move to PL/SQL, really, when T-SQL is already there?" Oh well ...

But I did d/l 10g anyway. I'll set it up and be on my way. If within a few weeks it doesn't generate enough passion, I'll know that I have to take a break from db, plunk down and do an Adobe Certification instead.

"Resistance to change is our own worst enemy."

Thanks.