Unanswered: *Really* a newbie to MySQL...

Hello there everyone of dBforums... I have found this wonderful place in hope of a few questions being answered.

I'm needing to now use MySQL on a site and I have no clue how.
    I am hosted on the Net by a wonderful person who has assigned me a dbname, a username, and a password for MySQL. HOWEVER, I have no idea how to access the database/MySQL. Which program(s) do I need to do it or is there other information I should get from my host? Just wondering if anyone here can set me off on the right path to entering the world of MySQL and if anyone has the time or patience to help a clueless newbie .

Thank you,
    Chime.

Once you are logged into your ISP type something like the following :

mysql -u yourusername -p yourpassword

you will then be accessing mysql

As for tutorials etc:

1) use the MySQL Tutorial part of the mysql documentation here:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/
    (you will have to decide which version of the docs you are going to download)

2) This one is pretty in depth as well:
    http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tu...sql/index.php3

HI

I don't think there is a blank between -p and yourpassword

I use

mysql -u myname -pmypassword

I learned SQL with SAM's "Teach yourself SQL in 10 minutes" which I was told is the "unchallenged" reference. I find it infinitely clearer than any info I could find on the mysql site.

Have fun
    One line at a time

Provided Answers: 59
    If you want to "talk" to a remote MySQL database you shold check out the tools such as MySQL Admin or dbTools offerings - both work
    Matthew

Hey everyone, thanks SO much for your replies they have been very helpful....
    I have a couple of questions ... this is going to sound so idiotic yet I have to do it: where am I typing "mysql -u username".... etc. etc.? I thought I knew where it went but..... I obviously don't because it didn't work lol.... and also what sort of things do the programs you mentioned do, healdem?

Thanks so much again,
    Chime.

Once there then type directly on a command line in a shell window.

The box? I don't know if she has given me everything I need, or if I just don't know how to do it.... we're both not very knowledgeable about this stuff ...

Thumbs up

Hai Chime,

To help you better, kindly explain your situation a little more better. Give information about the location of the MySQL server, Your machine operating system, applications that you have related to MySQL and also briefly tell us what you want to achieve with MySQL (create new tables or access tables which r already present etc)

Don't feel that you r not very knowledgeable. Every one started as newbie...
    Sudar

--
    My Blog