Thread: MS Dtabases

Unanswered: MS Dtabases

I am not a techie and need help. I have a website (www.mtonline.com) that is not working properly. It works very
    slowly or I get MS error messages such as the following:
    ----------------------------------------------
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired
    D:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\MTONLINE\FACIL\../includes/func_dataaccess.inc, line 18
    or
    D:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\MTONLINE\FACIL\../includes/func_dataaccess.inc, line 43
    error 'ASP 0113'
    Script timed out
    /facil/facilResultContent1.asp
    The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a
    new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeOut or by changing the
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    When inquiring about it, I got the following from my host who created the site 5 years ago...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Your site is on a ancient version of an SQL DB (in the computer world 5 years is pretty old). So getting in and touching
    lots of things is dangerous. We do not have really anyone here that familiar with the version of your DB (v6.5). You have
    a few options.
    (1) I will continue to have our IT department look into it
    (2) You can hire an SQL 6.5 expert to look into the situation
    (3) You are welcome to move the site to another hosting provider. They would either need to upgrade the DB
    (which is no trivel task and of considerable expense) or have a version of 6.5 hangin around somewhere (highly unlikely).
    I am happy to continue to host the site, but I do not want to inherit recoding the site or transferring an unstable DB.
    We did explore upgrading the DB to a newer version but this is also very dangerous and time consuming.
    It could require a considerable amount of re-programming.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My problem is it's been over 2 weeks and the site doesn't get fixed and I haven't been able to get a copy of the program and DB.
    I don't know what to do, and don't have a lot of money to invest in it. Can the v6.5 DB be upgraded to 7.0 or SQL 2000 and if
    so, what might the cost be? Can anyonehelp me ? Thanks for your prompt reply..

Jim Curtis, Windsor, CA. jim.curtis2@comcast.net

updating the database is trivial

i'm not a sql server expert, but at the same time, i don't know of any features in 6.5 that were dropped in later releases which would require "considerable expense" to work around

sounds to me like the guy is blowing smoke

of course, it's entirely possible that there's stuff in your code that might be unique to 6.5 (i have no idea whatsoever, i don't do asp or vb or whatever), so you will ahve to go over your code carefully

but upgrading the tables and data to a later release of sql server will be easy
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 54
    Without a thorough review of your code, this is just an opinion, but I strongly suspect that your upgrade wouldn't be a big deal.

Depending on how your database/application is set up, you ought to be able to attempt an upgrade relatively easily to test it for yourself. I'd expect that anything under 1 Gb of data and 100,000 lines of code would take about 8 hours to upgrade to SQL 2000, and another 12-20 hours to test (depending on complexity) for someone that has done the upgrade before. Scaling isn't exactly linear, so you might want to leave some "fudge" room in that estimate. If you want to try it unassisted, allow about 40 hours up front, then double the estimate for someone that has been down that road before.

-PatP