IMP-00058: ORACLE error 604 encountered ?

Hi, everybody
    I have a Oracle server 8.1.7 on Windows XP. After I created database and configured network, I could use tsnping and svrmgrl successfully. I created a new user and I want to imp data from the same user on another server to this. But I have had problem:

C:\>imp <user/passw@connString> file=<filename>

Import: Release 8.1.7.0.0
    (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

IMP-00058: ORACLE error 604 encountered
    ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
    ORA-00911: invalid character

I have tried use the command imp without filename and connectString but I received the same error.

Additionally, when I use sqlplus to connect with any user, I had this error:

ERROR:
    ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1

I don't know what happened, please help me !
    Thanks

did you grant privs to the new user?
    can you connect internal?

does 8i work on Windows XP?
    is your listener running and is your tnsnames configured correctly?

with IMP, why not use the FROMUSER TOUSER clauses?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

You can test by granting the user imp_full_database and exp_full_database roles.

However, I agree with "The Duck", why do through the pain of doing this when you can use fromuser/touser in imp parameter.

Also, you may want to ftp the export file to destination location. Typically I would not recommend using loopback (@databse) to perform the import.

the solution lies in the last error you receive:
    Cause: Special characters are valid only in certain places. If special characters other than $, _, and # are used in a name and the name is not enclosed in double quotation marks ("), this message will be issued. One exception to this rule is for database names; in this case, double quotes are stripped out and ignored.
    Action: Remove the invalid character from the statement or enclose the object name in double quotation marks.

what version of oracle was the export from?
    - The_Duck

This import file is exported from Oracle 8.1.7 on Unix. I think the problem is not caused by import file. I have imported this file to another Oracle 8.1.7 on Unix. It dued to connect step. I have tried connect as system/manager like this:
    imp system/manager
    and got the same error. As I said, I can use tnsping and svrmgrl with internal, system,<user/passw> and with @ or without @. Everything was successful. I have also tested connecting using Net8 configuration Assistant.
    I didn't use fromuser, touser because name and password of two users on two servers are the same. By the way, I tried this command:
    imp system/manager fromuser=<user> touser=<user> file=<filename>
    but it didn't help.
    And how about the error I get from sqlplus ? I didn't type any special character.
    Last edited by fire2fire; 11-08-04 at 20:37.

I missed the message you got from SQLPlus.

Did you verify the state of all system objects? Is the both database at same patch level? I would check for these two simple items first.

If you still have access to unix box, try invoking and importing the data remotely as part of your troubleshooting.

on target and source:
    show parameter nls_lang
    - The_Duck

I have check parameter NLS_LANG on 2 database, they are AMERICAN
    But when I search for NLS_LANG in registry, some of values have data:NA. So I change all of them to AMERICAN_AMERICA.VN8VN3, but it was still getting error. I tried to create new database and import data to it: the same error. I wonder if this dues to my computer's operation is Windows XP Home Edition or the processor is Pentium IV , I wil try on Professional Edition and another computer. I will come back if I have error again
    Thank you to all

fire2fire,

Having trawled through a few other forums the phrase

"Oracle Corporation does not support Windows ME or Windows XP Home Edition"

crops up an awful lot! Many posters report that Oracle was working fine for a while & then stopped, or that they could perform some tasks but not others.

I would try XP Pro & see if that solves your problem.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.