Unanswered: manual entry in combo box

Hi,
    I have a form with a combo box. If the user doesn't find the item listed, they need to be able to type it in manually. Right now it says it can't find the record in the table with the combo box values. How can i make it accept a manually entered value in that same field?

thanks for any response,
    Roger

turn off the limit to list property of the combo box.

it was off already (set to 'No')

Maybe I'm missing something... If limit to list is set to 'No', then the user should be able to type anything into the combo box. What are you doing with the value, maybe that is the problem?

Is the data for that field limited in the table design?

i checked the table and it's set for No also.

The combo box has contact names from a table. I made the contact name the primary key. So in the form i want to choose a name or enter one if it's not there. I also have a table of existing companies which i also use a combo box for on the form to link a company to the name. That field works fine if i enter a different value.

does that help at all? hope it doesn't sound too confusing.

I think I might be able to help you better if you could attach the database for me to look at. I know that may not be possible but I don't have any more suggestions to offer without seeing the problem.

You could try removing the primary key from the name filed and adding another ID field for the key.