Thread: multiple users

Unanswered: multiple users

i have a database that resides on a network drive. is there anthing i need to setup if i'm going to have multiple users that will add and edit records from the same table through a form at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Geremia
    i have a database that resides on a network drive. is there anthing i need to setup if i'm going to have multiple users that will add and edit records from the same table through a form at the same time?
    Uh .... Yeah. A different way of doing it. Data entry in Access using a form bound to the actual data table is not multi-user capable ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Great...I'm guessing an unbound form??

Quote Originally Posted by Geremia
    Great...I'm guessing an unbound form??
    Why would you guess that? Having an unbound form would work for somethings ... You'd have to code the save/update operations to the table(s) ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

any other ideas....im open to suggestions...

Use an SQL server. It handles multiple users and file locking capabilities. Expensive tho. You could write the program to work with MySQL (which is free)/

I am a little confused by the responses you have gotten so far. Do you have an Access database? One file with tables and forms in it that is on the server? If so then you might consider splitting the database. Put the tables of the database in one Access DB file and the forms, reports, queries in another. The tables would be your backend database and the other database is the frontend. You can then 'distribute' the frontend on user computers and connect them to the backend database using linked tables. Even if you don't do that, the database should be multi-user (assuming it is Access).

thanks dckunkle (and everyone else) ill try that setup....

Am I the only one who uses replicas and synchronization?

DCKnukle,
    I am curious myself. Your saying that doing an Get external Data - Table link will allow multiple users to add, delete and change data. That simple. Learning Access so, so sorry if the question seems so novice.

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    Uh .... Yeah. A different way of doing it. Data entry in Access using a form bound to the actual data table is not multi-user capable ...
    Could you elaborate on this?