Unanswered: Using a Form, Display data in Tree structure

Can microsoft access forms display data in a tree structure?

could you be more specific, tree structure like in family trees ?

More specific, Hierarchical tree structure

A tree structure similar to windows explorer with the ability to drill down / navigate your data by clicking folder icons

i'm sorry my knowledge doesn't reach that far :-)) (yet :-)))))))))))))))))))

Quote Originally Posted by wrwelden
    Can microsoft access forms display data in a tree structure?
    HI wrwelden

I'm not totally sure on the Form way, but I know you can do that at Table level. Depending on your Relationships set in your tables. Then you would look at what's called SubDataSheets. They are in DataSheetView much like a spreadsheet. Check out the view from one of my databases. Is that what you're looking for? You can do something similar in a form, but not sure how you would accomplish it as I have only done it to just OneLevel with Form and SubForm. But maybe someone else knows more about that.

have a nice one,
    BUD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SubDataSheetView.bmp  

Yes you can, but it ain't easy

There is a activex control called Microsoft Treeview Control (you can find it in your controls toolbox-more controls). If it's not there you may need a reference to "comctl32.ocx" usually found in Windows\System32.

Unfortunately documentation for this control is hard to find, I found bits and pieces in MSDN but I don't remember where exactly. I wouldn't go into this unless you really really need it or want to spend considerable time on the learning curve. It's a pretty neat control but is dificult to work with primarily because even though it's easy to just plunk into your form, most of the structure and all of the data has to be created in code and loaded every time the form is opened. In addition it will only work in conjunction with another activex control - Microsoft Image List Control, which fortunately enough is included in comctl32.

I also seem to sometimes have problems with licensing issues which I have NO understanding of. I believe there are third party equivalents out there with no licensing issues and possibly with documentation and even enhanced features. Search for "treeview control". Buena suerte.
    Last edited by hughhorton; 11-11-04 at 14:00.