Exclamation Unanswered: Copyright help in Excel

I'm wondering if there is anyway to copyright an excel file so others can't steal the file that i've made. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

what do you want to copyright is it code or information and are you sure its never been in existance before, if your planning on selling your workbook id check out the legalities of doing so, Microsoft tend to be fairly strict about the things you can and cannot sell usually dependant on what leval of software your using, are you sure you want to copyright and are you prepared to prove your intelectual ownership of the material (a quick way of doing this in the uk is to send yourself through the post and if there is a ledgible datestamp on it can settle disputes in a court of law by proving date of existance),

I have never copyrighted anything as i don't feel it's ever worth it, itend to share most of my knowledge for free(what little of it there is), what you may want to do is contact your lawyer and speak through the options with them.

What i can help you with is security for your application to make things more difficult for people to steal your work, and for that im pobably a lot more help to you

The Excel file that I made has 2 workbooks and code in the first one. This file was created by me for my company, I want to copyright it because one of my friends who works for another company wants to use it. I trust him but just in case I want to copyright it, in case he decides to claim it as his own. I'm not selling this at all, it's simply a program used to help my work. I've already looked at the security options on excel and none of them will do anything like copyrighting, they just don't allow anyone to modify the document without the right password. The only thing I can think of doing is unlocking all cells except for a few which I put my name and my company as the ones who created the document, and then locking those cells, and putting security on. But if there is a way to copyright a excel program, that would be easier. If anyone else knows a way please let me know.

Thanks,

Nate

if you are in the uk you can go here
    http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/

all i did was type how to copyright into google to find it
    what you will be copyrighting will be your code

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by NathanJ34
    The Excel file that I made has 2 workbooks and code in the first one. This file was created by me for my company, I want to copyright it because one of my friends who works for another company wants to use it. I trust him but just in case I want to copyright it, in case he decides to claim it as his own. I'm not selling this at all, it's simply a program used to help my work. I've already looked at the security options on excel and none of them will do anything like copyrighting, they just don't allow anyone to modify the document without the right password. The only thing I can think of doing is unlocking all cells except for a few which I put my name and my company as the ones who created the document, and then locking those cells, and putting security on. But if there is a way to copyright a excel program, that would be easier. If anyone else knows a way please let me know.

Thanks,

Nate
    You might want to check the legal aspect because in the US, most companies (not the individual) own the copyright for anything you produce on company time, including coding. You probably signed an agreement to that effect when you first began working for the company.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums