Unanswered: automatic table documentation

Using db2 8.1 on windows and linux. Looking for something in one of the tools that would generate a structured document of selected tables and columns. I figure there must be something, but I can't find it. Can't find a mention of anything in this forum either.

Thanks - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofaz
    Using db2 8.1 on windows and linux. Looking for something in one of the tools that would generate a structured document of selected tables and columns. I figure there must be something, but I can't find it. Can't find a mention of anything in this forum either.

Thanks - Bill
    Structured document? Not sure I understand what you mean. You can get the ddl from db2look, but that's not very structured. Might be a 3rd party tool someone else could speak to.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant

What I want is essentially the DDL, but "prettier". I would like to have table descriptions, including table name and comment, and each column name, type, constraints and comment, all laid out in a reasonable presentation style for inclusion in a system document. Maybe there's nothing, but the DDL is pretty ugly, requires much reformatting for use in the doc.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofaz
    What I want is essentially the DDL, but "prettier". I would like to have table descriptions, including table name and comment, and each column name, type, constraints and comment, all laid out in a reasonable presentation style for inclusion in a system document. Maybe there's nothing, but the DDL is pretty ugly, requires much reformatting for use in the doc.

Bill
    I don't know of anything offhand, maybe someone else here has used something like that, I can definately see the benefit.
    --
    Jonathan Petruk
    DB2 Database Consultant