Unanswered: Macro to modify contents of a cell

Hi All,

I'm trying to bold the first letter of a lot of cells. Of course, when I write a macro to do this, it changes all the cell text to exactly what was in the original cell I wrote the macro on. So now all my fields say the same thing.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

Hi Michelle,

Heres the code i came up with
    i initally recorded the process then tided up thecode that excel produced

Code:
    Sub BoldFirst()

'used to bold the first Character of the cell
    Dim rngCell As Range
        For Each rngCell In Selection
            rngCell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=1).Font.Bold = True
            rngCell.Characters(Start:=2, Length:=Len(ActiveCell.Formula)).Font.Bold = False
        Next rngCell

End Sub
    HTH
    Dave

Works great! I always wondered if there was a way to do that.

And I can guess that the ActiveCell.Formula will work for anything where I want to keep the cell contents and edit them, like using F2 normally.

Thanks a lot,

Michele

Quote Originally Posted by MJones58
    And I can guess that the ActiveCell.Formula will work for anything where I want to keep the cell contents and edit them, like using F2 normally.
    Sort of... ActiveCell refers to the Actual selected worksheet cell. You also have ActiveSheet, ActiveWorkbook...

In David's Example he used a loop that defined each cell in the selected Range to the 'rngCell' variable. This changed the reference of rngCel with each itteration of the loop.

This line:
    rngCell.Characters(Start:=2, Length:=Len(ActiveCell.Formula)).Font.Bold = False

"ActiveCell.Formula" would not change, because the selection was not changed during the loop process. So if you had All bold entries it may not unbold all the caracters 2 to x if the text Length is less than whatever cell happend to be active.

See what I mean David? I think you would want to change this to:
    rngCell.Characters(Start:=2, Length:=Len(rngCell.Formula)).Font.Bold = False

/
    ~

Bill

Hi Bill

Sorry i just missed that one i orginally worked on an individual cell hence the Activecell and then later put it into a loop,
    i produced this macro in all of about 5 minutes and didn't check it enough

I know all about the use of activecell, it was just a mistake on my part

Michelle if you use Bills line at the bottom this is what i was wanting to produce,

Cheers
    Dave