Unanswered: Creating comma-delimited data from .txt file

I have several thousand rows of data in a text file. As an example, several rows of data might look like this:

AcmeProduce Order #79132: Produce - 2004/09/26 - 15:42:25 (ET)
    SmithMeats Order #508A: Meat - 2004/09/27 - 14:00:15 (ET)
    AkersDryGoods Order #SEP0904: Canned Goods - 2004/09/28 - 09:25:27 (ET)

I want to import the data in the text file into a table with columns for vendor, order number, department, date, and time. Unfortunately, the format is as it appears, with no consistent method of delimiting the items within the lines. Items are delimited with spaces, colons and hyphens, but the spaces that appears after the word "Order" and before "(ET)" aren't delimiters. I hope there's a way to prepare this data to import into the table without manually going into the text file and typing in a bunch of commas (Did I mention several thousand rows of data?). The vendors (AcmeProduce, SmithMeats, etc.) and departments (Produce, Meat, etc.) are already entered in separate tables. Is this something I should do with VBA or Excel before importing into Access? Thank you for any help.

You said you wanted comma delimitted, but what you described is a need to bring in several thousand rows of data in a text file and to parse it out into fields. Here is a solution. Import the text file into a table as fixed length and remove any separators that the import wizard tries to place, thereby putting the whole text string into field1. I called my table Avid999 and the only field in the table is field 1. Then I created a query that separates the string into the fields that you described. Here is the SQL.

SELECT Left([Field1],InStr([field1],"Order #")-2) AS Vendor, Mid([field1],InStr([field1],"#")+1,InStr([field1],":")-(InStr([field1],"#")+1)) AS [Order], Mid([field1],InStr([field1],":")+2,InStr([field1],"-")-1-(InStr([field1],":")+2)) AS Department, CDate(Mid([field1],InStr([field1],"-")+2,InStr(InStr([field1],"-")+1,[field1],"-")-1-(InStr([field1],"-")+2))) AS [Date], TimeValue(Mid([field1],InStr(InStr([field1],"-")+1,[field1],"-")+2,InStr([field1],"(")-3-InStr(InStr([field1],"-")+1,[field1],"-"))) AS [Time]
    FROM Avid999;

TD

That worked at treat, TD. Thanks heaps.

avid999 you have a solution, fine, but on the other hand i will inform you that if you like to have a delimitted file you could have used the "find and replace" function (ctl-H)
    and replace "order #" by a delimitter and so on.