Unanswered: "double" or "decimal"

Hi!

What is the difference between those two datatypes : Double and Decimal.

Both seem to accept 10,2 as length, does that mean they can be ten long with two digits after the coma?

Sam's "Teach yourself SQL in 10 minutes" is bizarrely mute about this ...

Thanks

double is floating-point, decimal is fixed decimal

why consult a book (which, judging from the title alone, cannot possibly be credible) when you have the authoritative source of true information only a few clicks away?

here, i looked it up for ya -- 12.1.1 Overview of Numeric Types
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks Rudy

double is floating-point, decimal is fixed decimal
    >>> I never understood what "floating point" means. I'll use Decimal.

why consult a book (which, judging from the title alone, cannot possibly be credible) when you have the authoritative source of true information only a few clicks away?
    >>> I have a very good response to that very sensible question: I used a little book because I could read it in two hours and go through it step by step, day after day. It covered 99.99% of my needs. It would have taken me a year to go through the whole of the MySQL site - assuming I would have had the perseverance - I suppose it is a "Get results. Now!" approach or rather a "Jump and build your wings on the way down" one

here, i looked it up for ya -- 12.1.1 Overview of Numeric Types
    >>> Very kind of you, I appreciate the extra effort, even though I went to see it and only got more confused as I was reading. Those swedes's brains must not be wired the way our latin ones are

Have a great week end

Best from Belgium

Jean