Unanswered: DB2 v8.1 Fixpak5 for AIX5 - Upgrade??

I do not see upgraded fixpak 5, like Fixpak4a, 6a & 7a. Is it true that "security vulnerabilities discovered by NGS Research" in not an issue for fixpak5?

Thanks,

Fixpak 4a does not include the security fixes. The reason that both 6a and 7a were released with security fixes is that 6a is the last fixpak for version 8.1 and version 7a is 8.2, and not everyone wants to go to 8.2 yet. Fixpak 13 for version 7.2 was also released with the security fixes.

You can see the list of APARS is each fixpak with the provided documentation.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

I understand it's always suggested to use latest available fixpak. But, our app was devloped & tested with fixpak5 and next Service Release is not scheduled till Feb'2005.

Is it safe to continue with Fixpak5 in Prod?
    Last edited by akkm; 11-15-04 at 11:36.

You should consider installing FP 6a, which is DB2 version 8.1 like FP 5. There will not be any more fixpaks for version 8.1 beyond FP 6a (unless there is an emergency 6b fixpak). I don't believe that FP6a contains any function changes over FP5 (just code fixes) so it should be fairly safe if you can do at least some minimal testing.

Whether you stay with fixpak 5 or install 6a depends on how concerned you are about the security problems that a malicious user could cause to your system. APARs for each fixpak are included in the documentation.

Fixpak 7 and higher are DB2 version 8.2.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390