Exclamation Unanswered: Need a good db2 backup/recovery tool !!

I 'm working with a company that decided to install a new dbms and environment (DB2 on AIX). Most of the talent here is mainframe oriented. When the deision was made as to which distributed database tools to go with in Unix, folks here went with a vendor that is well accomplished on the mainframe, but whose distributed database tools are horrendous.

I don't want to name the tool vendor but will say they have 3 letters in their name. Last week a recovery tool of theirs failed during a recovery and it left DB2 in a terrible state.

We are researching alternative tools.

Can y'all recommend some good distributed db2 tools? We are specifically interested in a good backup and recovery tool but also might be in the market for a good monitoring tool.

Many thanks in advance.

Gerry

datapro01@yahoo.com

Look at Tivoli Storage Manager. Tivioli is owned by IBM.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

On TSM

I thought TSM was used primarily for the handoff to the backup medium and was not used to schedule and run recoveries and backups.

TSM is probably the best DB2 backup tool available and is integrated with DB2. Here are the last 4 lines of database config parms (db2 get db cfg for db-name).

TSM management class (TSM_MGMTCLASS) =
    TSM node name (TSM_NODENAME) =
    TSM owner (TSM_OWNER) =
    TSM password (TSM_PASSWORD) =

Instead of asking more questions here, go to their website or contact a Tivoli salesperson.

The Tivoli monitoring tools are not particularly good the last time I saw them, and I would check with Quest and BMC for these. But don't forget that the Version 8 Health Center has some monitoring features built into DB2.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 11-16-04 at 12:48.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390