1 - import data from flat file into a temp table
    2 - copy selected data from the temp table to permanent tables
    3 - truncate temp table

The task #2 is a SQL statement

Code:
    INSERT INTO MODELS (MODEL_ID)
    SELECT DISTINCT MATNR
    	 FROM STANDARD
     WHERE MATNR NOT IN (SELECT MODEL_ID FROM MODELS)
    where STANDARD is the temp table and MODELS a permanent one. My problem is this simple task freezes all the time. It stalls on 'Starting' and stays in this state forever when I execute the package.

Any idea why ?

Questions:
    1. How large is the MODELS table?
    2. How large is the STANDARD table?
    3. Is the MODEL_ID column in the MODELS table a primary or alternate key?
    4. If you start this job, open a QA session, and execute sp_who2, is your table load being blocked by another process?

If the MODELS table is not overly large, you could execute a nolock count on MODELS.MODEL_ID to see if rows are being added to the MODELS table without throwing any additional locks onto the table.

If you have a large quantity of inserts, maybe you want to break them up into smaller batches of about 1K - 5K so that the tran log doesn't have to auto expand.

Without more information on rowcounts, table sizes, table indexes, etc. even a simple request for help is difficult to answer.

MODELS HAVE ONLY 1 field MODEL_ID varchar(15) wich is the PK. It has 1706 records.

STANDARD has 9 fields with no PK (because there's some duplicates). It has about 23000 records

There's no other process locking the DB

It seems to happen because there's no row to be updated, no new MODEL_ID in the standard table. The inner query returns no row

I'm stupid !!!

The problem was very simple, in the workflow properties of the first import task, I was closing the connection on completion.....