Unanswered: Backup - Restore questions

Hi everybody,
    I am trying to figure out SQL Backup and restore and I was wondering if you guys could enlighten me.
    I figured out how to restore a DB on my local sql box but let's say my server catches on fire and my backup is on tape, how do I restore my DBs on a different box ?
    I have a second machine I built for test but apparently it won't restore from the tape.
    What is the best way to back up your data in case of major hardware problem ? And how to restore it to a completly different server. I am running tapeware w/ sql agent.

Thank you, any help will be greatly appreciated. -Seb

Seb,

If you can get your support team, to move the backup over to the secondary server every night, then in a DR situation its probably 15 min job to restore the DB, dont forget about the users though. If you have a single user sign on, then just copy that over at the start, otherwise you should regularly copy the logins over to the DR server.

You could implement log shipping, take a full backup across, restore it, then start the log shipping every 10 mins, and it will always be ready. It will be in read only mode though.

JS

Thank you very much for the tips now I know what to look into. Thanks again.

-Seb