Red face Unanswered: Campsite Reservation System

Hi All,
    I'm tring to do a campsite reservation system in MS access and I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Did a course in it a few years back but don't remeber much! I'm not using script (I think thats the terminology) and everyone seems to be using that!
    Can anyone help...I'd really like to get a start at it and some ideas to go on! I have some tables made but not sure if they include the information I need and how to form relationsships and queries and stuff!
    Kelly
    You can also reply to me at kellyjacobs@hotmail.com, I use MSN messenger!
    Thanks

Hi Kelly,

And let me say "Welcome to the Forum"
    It's good you took a course a few years back, but some things have probably changed a bit since you last touched Access, especially if you were using Access97. In order for myself or others to better help you, it would be best to make a Copy of your database (remove any sensitive data), Zip it down with WinZip or something like that and then Attach (Post) it here in the forum. That way we can download it and see just what you have. Without seeing it makes it rather hard to resolve anything, especially if we're working from scratch. Later on when you have minor smaller issues, sometimes just explaining it here will suffice.
    Once someone gets your database to look at, then you can explain in greater detail what you have, what you would like for it to do and so on. Note though that this is just a place to help with tips and pointers, but sometimes.....as with me you just might run across someone who will do most of the ground work for you. BUT, that in itself doesn't empower you or whoever to learn how to do it. Remember, you can get someone to do it for you easily (sometimes), but then, what about maintaining it on a day-to-day basis? When problems arise, IF you didn't design it you are at the mercy of finding someone to help you each and every time.
    It's like the saying "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, TEACH that man to fish, feed him for a lifetime"
    No, not preaching here, just helping to make things easy to digest. Remember as I stated already, if you post it here I myself will try to help you build/design your database. The more I help others the more I learn in the end myself. Besides, I like teaching what I know.After all, what is knowledge if it's kept all locked up.

I look forward to possibly working with you and we'll see what happens.

have a nice one,
    BUD

Provided Answers: 1
    Well don't keep us in suspense missy!! Let's see these tables and queries you've designed...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Bud has made some good points. The first step of designing a database should be planning. I often see where people jump into building the database without having a good plan for how everything is going to work.

You should think about your requirements. Determine what things you'll need to see and what actions you'll need to perform with your database. Convert these into conceptual data views and forms for performing actions and viewing information. Write this down to develop your design specification. Identify your data requirements, Customers, Employees, Campsites, Services ... Organize the data to develop a structure for tables.

One of the best tools for developing your table structure is the Data Model. Barry Williams, hosts a site and has provided many examples of Data Models you can view free, here is the model for a Hotel Reservation System.

To understand whats going on with the data model you will need to know some basics of relational database design, supported by access. It would be a good idea to get an Access book, do some reading. Any decent Access book will start with a chapter on RDMS concepts how keys work, what database normalization means and why its important.

All of this may be a bit overwhelming if you are a novice with Access. You may be able to get something useful without doing much planning, data models etc. but it will likely be more work over time and less functional.

/
    ~

Bill