Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: IMP-00002 failed to open .dmp file

Hi,

I am using Oracle 9.2.0.5.0 on win2k platform and am trying to import from a dump file into existing db and get the following error during import operation.

IMP-00002: failed to open "<path\filename.dmp>" for read

Any ideas as to why this error?

Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 1
    This may or may not help, but....

The error suggests that the filepath & name you are specifying in the imp command is wrong. So I would check that first. It may be that the *.dmp file is corrupt, and therefore can't be opened, so I would check that next. But...

But it may be to do with versions of OS. Confused? I shall explain... I receive *.dmp files from an external site. I can't do anything with the *.dmp files on my servers (which are W2K); I get a different error message to you (mine talks about an invalid header). To get round this I import the *.dmp file from my PC, which has XP & can 'see' the server. (I just copy the *.dmp file onto my PC, open a DOS window, & specify the path & filename in the imp command.)
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

possibly you are not transferring files in BINARY.
    that is when files can get corrupted.

Could this be the case?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

thank you for your response.

I gave full file path to read the dump file from but the error persists.

Actually, I obtained the DVD's from our customer and OS environment is the same. What I am wondering is that if win2k has any limit on the size of *.dmp file that it can handle/open. For eg: I am trying to import a dump file which is 60 GB in size!!

Could this be a problem?

suggestions

Are you sure your .dmp file is not corrupt? Please work with a parfile. When you do an import please work also with a parfile and include first the option show=y which means a fictive import has been done. Check the log with this parfile for more possible causes!
    Regards,
    Johan

There should be a second message after IMP-0002 error.

OS environment different should not make a difference. You should ask the customer how the dump was created.

For us, when we export dump file larger than 2 gigs, we use unix split and compress utility to generate the dump and limit the each file to 2 gigs.

JimYoo,

(Trying not to get off the topic of this thread, as dr_suresh20 stills needs an answer) I agree entirely with your comment that differences in the OS environment shouldn't make a difference, but the fact is that it obviously does in my case! & sometimes 'asking the customer' doesn't get the answer that you need, & unfortunately my customers are too far away for me to visit & see at first hand what they're doing. I know I should stop & wonder why I am having to do what I'm doing, but at the moment I don't care, as what I do works, which is why I suggested it as an option to dr_suresh20 - I'll worry about it when I get the time to do so.

(If everything in Life went as it should then we wouldn't need DBA's!)
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

My apologies if I seem to have taken it off track.

My point in contacting the customer was, could it have been created using other utilities to compress the export, etc. If I recall correctly there is a 2 Gig limit for file size on some 32 bit systems.

JimYoo, I was apologising for me taking it off track, not you!

Reading my comments again I could have worded things differently! What I was getting at is that I was trying to suggest a 'quick fix' - if what I do works then it's worth trying. The theory bit (i.e. 'it shouldn't make a difference') can be looked at later.

And now I've taken this thread further off track, so I'll just bow slightly & back away slowly....

I am trying to retrace the step back by making sure file is NOT corrupt.

Just wondering, does the difference in Oracle version can cause this issue? Our customer is using 9.2.0.3.0 and I am using 9.2.0.5.0...

thanks for your response.

any results

Are there any results or successed booked?
    Regards,
    Johan

Guys,

here is the latest..

* File is NOT corrupt.

* There is no second error message associated with the first one already
    posted here... I checked event viewer and not much help there...

* I am wondering if this could be because of OS limitation i.e filesize beyond
    32 GB cannot be opened in win2k. Though i need to confirm this.
    I could be wrong on this one.

Any help is highly appreciated.

that IS a pretty damn large file
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

I wasn't aware of any filesize limitations in the OS - this is more likely to be a software related issue. Perhaps Oracle's Import has a limit?

Issue is resolved, turned out to be a file permission problem!! as opposed to file size limitation.. When files are joined via fsplit program - permissions are set to be null and hence the error. So the fix was straight forward.

Thank you all for your help.