Question Unanswered: encrypt/decrypt data

We like to secure datas.
    Only a few people are autorized to read this information, but today, these informations are readable with a simple query with a query analyzer for exemple.

I'd like to encrypt datas with reversible function in one field of a table

Is there a function able to do this kind of work in SQLServer V7 or 2000 ?

I would think that you would be better off using native SQL security to restrict access to the data rather than attempting to encrypt it. I personally prefer to write stored procs that "wrap" my tables and then I grant exec privileges on the stored procs to the appropriate roles. This way, I don't have to grant select on the underlying tables to anyone.

Alternatively, you can grant select privileges to specific roles based on need. You may also grant the select privilege down to a particular column(s) of data.

Note that you could also get an SSL certificate and force encryption between the client and the host, but I'm not certain that this will help in your circumstance.

hmscott

Quote Originally Posted by jleb
    We like to secure datas.
    Only a few people are autorized to read this information, but today, these informations are readable with a simple query with a query analyzer for exemple.

I'd like to encrypt datas with reversible function in one field of a table

Is there a function able to do this kind of work in SQLServer V7 or 2000 ?
    Have you hugged your backup today?