Thread: ASE vs. ASIQ

Unanswered: ASE vs. ASIQ

Hi all

Recently I found out that ASIQ is very high performance and is a very good choice for backing decision support systems.

My question is that now that ASIQ is much faster than ASE why would one choose ASE as the database backend for non decision support systems?

In other words, compared to ASE, what are ASIQ's weaknesses that make it not suitable for OLTP, simple web based, and other non DSS projects?

Thanks in advance,
    Behrang Saeedzadeh.

Any Sybase pros here!?

Could anyone please explain the weaknesses of ASIQ compared to ASE? Or why would one choose ASIQ instead of ASE? What does ASE have that IQ doesn't?

Regards,
    Behrang S.

IQ is optimized for queries (SELECTs) because it allow for an efficient method of having all coumns indexed. Part of that method is a data compresion scheme. These things together make SELECTs quite fast but INSERTs and UPDATEs quite slow. SO for a decision support app where you load data once (or infrequently) in bulk and SELECT many times it works great, For a traditional OLTP app with much INSERTing and UPDATEing the overhead would become too much.

Hi Ted

Lots of thanks for the informative reply. Currently I'm involved in the development of an application that is comprised from two modules: 1) a data entry module and 2) a reporting module. I think the reporting module is actually a decision support system as its purpose it to let the top level managers to perform complex queries over the entered data and then take decisions based on the results of those queries.

Data is entered by operators (less than 500 operators use the system) and at most each operator may enter 50 forms per day. And then managers query against these available information for decision making.

I think IQ would be a perfect fit for this application and Also 25,000 inserts/updates per day does not look to be a problem isn't it?

BTW - Does IQ perform the automizations automatically or does it require extensive manual tweaking?

Best Reagrds,
    Behrang S.
    Last edited by behrangsa; 11-20-04 at 12:02. Reason: Type...